March 29, 2024, 08:38:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anyone know how to plot Michaelis Menton curves in Excel?  (Read 34858 times)

Offline Jazzified

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Anyone know how to plot Michaelis Menton curves in Excel?
« on: May 02, 2008, 07:27:23 PM »
I'd like to make Michaelis Menton curves using Microsoft Excel.  Is there a way to do this?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Anyone know how to plot Michaelis Menton curves in Excel?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 12:23:43 AM »
Do you want to plot a theoretical curve or do you want to fit some data to a curve?  Excel can do the former, but I don't think it can do the latter easily.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:36:31 AM »
It should be No different to plotting a standard X, Y regression plot all you have to do is to make sure you the correct X and Y data ranges and format the graph approprietly to get your information.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Einherjar_PT

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
I was trying to do the same very recently. Excel, (at least as far as I know, and without addons) doesn't perform Hyperbolic Regression. Use the program Hyper32, besides doing hyperbolic regression, it was designed to aid in Enzyme Kinetics, and it also plots the Lineweaver, Eadie and Hanes lines, for the given initial speeds and substrate concentrations.

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
I'd like to make Michaelis Menton curves using Microsoft Excel.  Is there a way to do this?
- i think it is quite complicated when you use the michealis-menten plot...i mean not all enzymatic and bacterial activity follow the plot curve..particularly when multiple substrate inhibition is involved...
when i was still an assistant reseracher in the microbial technology i was culturing bacillus subtilis what i do is that i use the Lineweaver-Burk equation it is more linear than the hyperbolic plot of the M-M equation...thus one can directly predict the next activity of the enzymes...
however if you really want to plot the M-M equation you can plot on the Y axis the reaction rate and in the x-axis the substrate concentration..you can determine Km at Vm=0.5Vm....
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline Einherjar_PT

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »
Different linearization methods have different advantages and disadvantages.
Lineweaver-Burk is very susceptible to error, specially in the low values of substrate concentration. The Hanes is in my opinion one of the most accurate. But that depends on each case, choose wisely...

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 10:29:59 AM »
Different linearization methods have different advantages and disadvantages.
Lineweaver-Burk is very susceptible to error, specially in the low values of substrate concentration. The Hanes is in my opinion one of the most accurate. But that depends on each case, choose wisely...
-the hanes method....yes i tried that....i can recall my professor asked me to derive that,my first paper was a real mess....
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Sponsored Links