April 25, 2024, 07:03:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please help with Atomic Orbitals.  (Read 3759 times)

Offline NewtoAtoms

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
Please help with Atomic Orbitals.
« on: May 06, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am new to Chemistry and wondering if anyone can help.

I just studied the 4 quantum numbers, n, l, ml, ms and I understand it. 
I then studied the Atomic orbitals, s, p, d, f, g, h

I then came to a statement in my textbook which read "hydrogen's electron has the same energy whether it be in the 2s orbital or a 2p orbital. 

My question is (please excuse it, remember I am new) but does each orbital have a s,p,d orbitals?  What I mean by that is n=2 has a value of l=1,0 which is a p and an s orbital.  However if n=3, then l=2,1,0.  Am I to assume this is a completely different element, and NOT the same element as n=2?

I hope my question makes sense, he he he... this quantum chemistry is TOUGH for us new to chemistry!

Thank you everyone.

Offline dtbcn

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Please help with Atomic Orbitals.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »
n = principle quantum number
l = angular momentum quantum number (describes theshape of an electron's orbital)
ml = magnetic quantum number (orientation of the orbital in space)
ms = spin (positive/negative)

'n' can be found by looking at the horizontal rows (period) ex. K has a principle quantum number of 4.

'l' is always less than n but greater or equal to 0. the S orbital are the alkali and alkali earth groups, P orbital are the groups from boron to the noble gases. D orbitals are the transition metals. S=0, P=1, D=2. ex. for K l=0

'ml' is the orientation in space. If 'l' = 0 'ml' can only be 0, if 'l' = 1 'ml' can be 1,0,or -1, 'l' = 2 'ml' can be 2,1,0,-1,-2. ex. for K ml can only be 0.

ms is either + or - so +1/2 or -1/2. ex. K is part of the alkali group so the spin is +1/2. If it was calcium, the spin would be -1/2.

quantum number for K would be 4,0,0,1/2

hope this helps.

Offline Kuahji

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Please help with Atomic Orbitals.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:11 AM »
I then came to a statement in my textbook which read "hydrogen's electron has the same energy whether it be in the 2s orbital or a 2p orbital. 

My question is (please excuse it, remember I am new) but does each orbital have a s,p,d orbitals?  What I mean by that is n=2 has a value of l=1,0 which is a p and an s orbital.  However if n=3, then l=2,1,0.  Am I to assume this is a completely different element, and NOT the same element as n=2?

I hope my question makes sense, he he he... this quantum chemistry is TOUGH for us new to chemistry!

Thank you everyone.

I think the only way for a hydrogen's electron to go into the 2s, 2p etc orbital is if it becomes excited.  But then the electron will have more energy. 

If your electron becomes excited, the principle quantum number can increase, it can become 2, 3, etc.  But its still the same element, just with its electron in an excited state. 

Sponsored Links