April 26, 2024, 05:00:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bohr's Model of the Atom  (Read 5259 times)

Offline Mikez

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
  • gaudium in veritate
Bohr's Model of the Atom
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:07:37 PM »
Where can I get some reliable information showing how Bohr's Model of the Atom helps explain nuclear structure. I am trying to get something specific that I can quote for a presentation, I've tried wiki but it talks only about Rutherford when discussion nuclear structure.

Also is it true that bohr's model of the atom can be drawn without a nucleus? (teacher stated it today but it didn't make any sense to me)

Thanks

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: Bohr's Model of the Atom
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:22:14 AM »
Nice links enahs, Thanks

Something I have never understood ...

The transition of electrons between energy levels is due to absorption or emission of em quanta of specific energy and hence specific frequency. Say that frequency corresponds to light in the visible spectrum, then why do we see absorption or emission spectra? If the change to a higher level can only come from absorbing a quanta of a very specific energy and colour, then that can only come from light itself. What I'm trying to get at, if we have a flame test of a group 1 or group 2 metal then where is the energy coming from to cause the excitation of the electrons? The obvious answer is the heat in the flame. But won't this heat be of the wrong energy, since only visible light will cause the electron to "jump" to a higher level? To cause an electron transition we would have light in, light out, we wouldn't see anything.

What am I not understanding?

Thanks

Clive

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:35:24 AM »
The Bohr model is meant to explain atomic structure not nuclear. Although, some assumptions like the nucleus is in the center of well defined electron orbitals are implicit in the model.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:50:27 AM »
The Bohr model is meant to explain atomic structure not nuclear.
Good point - I completely missed that.
Although, some assumptions like the nucleus is in the center of well defined electron orbitals are implicit in the model.
Thanks

Clive

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:06:07 AM »
The obvious answer is the heat in the flame. But won't this heat be of the wrong energy, since only visible light will cause the electron to "jump" to a higher level? To cause an electron transition we would have light in, light out, we wouldn't see anything.

Thermal excitation is possible to promote an electron to excited states. It does not have to be photon colliding with electron, other possible way is through external electron colliding with atom's electron.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links