March 18, 2024, 11:01:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Glassware. What to do with it?  (Read 8495 times)

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Glassware. What to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:05 AM »
i can move this to the child board

Chemical Forums > Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist > Buy/Sell/Trade/Borrow Chemicals, Glassware and Instrumentation (Moderators: Mitch, billnotgatez)

i would expect you would get interested parties asking for them

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 04:45:52 AM »
I'd gladly take it off your hands (and pay shipping) or purchase the whole if you wish to sell it at a affordable price. I've wanted to set up a little lab in my backyard for about two years now and I feel I've gained enough experience to safely work on my own. I'd be really grateful as this would well get me started.

All the best,
Fluorine
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline kortex

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:57:05 AM »
Sure I didn't even see the child board.  If anyone knows what the "unknown" items are, please let me know.  I still do chemistry I just don't know what they are.  After storing them all these years, I want to know!

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »
I know unknown column 1 is a condenser, unknown bottle looks like Soxhlet extractor (#1,2,4,5) but I'm not sure of the others.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline kortex

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
It won't let me PM.  Maybe I have to have a certain number of posts?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
It won't let me PM.  Maybe I have to have a certain number of posts?

Yep.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kortex

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »
I still have all this stuff if anyone is interested.  Just make an offer.  Any offers or questions should be sent over pm..

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
Unknown #1 (bottle) is a cold-finger type condenser. It was particularly useful when there were a lot of dissolving sodium reductions - the cold finger was filled with dry ice and acetone, and ammonia was added as a gas, condensing on the cold-finger and dropping into the reaction vessel below. Sodium was then dissolved in the ammonia to make a reducing solution of sodium amide.

Unknown #2 (column) is a fractional distillation column from the days when rubber stoppers were used to hold glassware together.

Unknown #3 (column) looks like a Dean-Stark trap. Reactions which give off water can be driven to completion by running the reaction in refluxing benzene or toluene, which form low-boiling azeotropes with water. Any water formed in the reaction will be carried up to the tope of the column by the toluene or benzene, which will gather in the graduated section and separate, the water at the bottom and the solvent at the top. The stopcock on the sidearm allows you to drain the water (through the lower sidearm), and the graduations tell you how much water you've collected, giving you an indication of how far your reaction has progressed.

Hope this helps...

Sponsored Links