March 28, 2024, 01:49:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need Help Finding the Right Grad School  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
Need Help Finding the Right Grad School
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »
I am currently studying biochemistry at The University of Southern California.  I am interested in studying biosensors, but I'm having trouble finding a university that is committed to task.  I know that there are plenty of programs out there, just don't know where.  If anyone knows of a university, I would to stress that I will go anywhere in the english speaking world, that is committed to studying and researching biosensors I would greatly appreciate the input.  Thanks all, Rabn

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Need Help Finding the Right Grad School
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:40:34 AM »
I doubt you will find a university or graduate program committed solely to studying biosensors as it is much too narrow of a focus.  However, you will be able to find individual labs that research biosensors.  My advice would be to talk to your professors to find out about other professors who do work on biosensors and pick your graduate program based on which one will give you access to the professors with whom you'd like to work (make sure there are at least two professors who you are very interested in working with at the graduate institution you choose so that you have options in case your lab of first choice is full/you don't get along with the professor).

In terms of research on biosensors, I know Roger Tsien (UC San Diego), Alice Ting (MIT), and Barbara Imperiali (MIT) do some nice work on fluorescent biosensors.  There are probably others that I'm not aware of who also do some nice research on biosensors (especially biosensors based on other technologies like those using optical resonators).

Sponsored Links