March 28, 2024, 07:08:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: electrolysis of water using diffrent catalysis.  (Read 24675 times)

Offline aarothepharo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
electrolysis of water using diffrent catalysis.
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:34:02 PM »
I know many of you are tired of seeing all these posts about the electrolysis of water so lets talk about catalysis.

I have been expirementing with electrolysis of water lately just for a fun cheap project.

Using stainless steel electrodes and water from the tap (perhaps I should have used distilled ;D) I used a power supply to start divding molecules of water.

Using common table salt as a catalysis (helps the water conduct eletricity)..the water over time turns a nasty charcoal color.

Using sodium bicarb as a catalysis...the water over time deveopes a thick layer of white foam that floats on top of the water.

Is there any catalysis I can use to keep the water in its normal state? something hopefully easy to obtain. one person told me sulfuric acid but I rather not use that.

Please Help,
Aaron

PS when using the salt I never did see any oxygen bubbles rising from the + side. I only saw them in the bicarb reaction.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: electrolysis of water using diffrent catalysis.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:20:56 AM »
Salts are not catalysts, they are just there to decrease solution resistance. NaCl will slowly loose chlorine (electrolysed out from the solution together with oxygen) and you will be left with the solution of mostly NaOH, if it contact with air this will probably adsorb CO2 and you will get some mixture of carbonate/bicarbonate or NaOH/carbonate. Using bicarbonate you don't risk Cl2 evolution.

You may try to start with water acdified with sulfuric acid, or with water with NaOH, although the latter will sooner or later become just some combination of base/bicarbonate/carbonate.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline aarothepharo

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »
Ok so I need to review my chemistry terms... so am I understanding right?
the NaCl (salt) is losing the Cl but the sodium is combining with O and H. Is that right?
so I have NaOH.....H2O.....and....Cl2 ?

Is the Cl2 in the form of a gas?

in the Bakinging soda reaction the bi carb is completely dissolved so where does the foam come from?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »
There are three reactions that go on. Two competing on anode:

2Cl- -> Cl2(g) + 2e-

4OH- -> 2H2O + O2(g) + 4e-

(they are nor exactly competing, it is more complex, but we may start with explanation that as long as chlorides are present in a reasonably high concetration chlorine will evolve together with oxygen).

One on cathode:

2H+ + 2e- -> H2(g)

No idea about the foam. My first idea is contaminants/surfactants.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline aarothepharo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »
Ok I think I get it but where is the Na going from the salt I see where the clorine went?

Offline Mark Imisides

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:42:06 AM »

It's CO2 caused by the reaction of localised hydronium ions (caused by the reaction of ferric ions with water)  at the anode with the bicarb.

Aside from the anodic processes you mention, with a steel electrode, and depending on both your cell geometry and reaction velocity, the applied potential can cause the iron to oxidise to ferric ion (as I discuss on another thread).

I'm only a newcomer to this forum myself, but the plethora of people (and threads) now talking about this same subject is becoming a little tedious.

Mostly they are newcomers, and mostly they know almost  no chemistry. They call electrolytes catalysts, ask questions about ridiculous electrolytes such as bicarb, and don't understand answers when they are given.

Anyone who is involved with any automotive forums will know that these threads are now legion. Everyone, it seems, is interested in saving money by bolting an electrolysis cell onto their engine. Anyone who understands the science behind this idea that questions the testimonies that accompany these claims, is shot down in flames, with arguments that usually boil down to

1. We haven't heard about this because big oil has stopped it (usually with an accompanying story about an inventor who was mysteriously murdered by Big Oil)

2. The laws of thermodynamics are made to be broken (I kid you not) :P

3. You don't know if you don't try. Those of us with a formal science education are "stuck in our thinking" and don't know how to try new ideas.

4. Anything that's on the internet must be true. Anyone who doesn't believe in the existence of molecules such as HHO and monatomic hydrogen (at STP) has been brainwashed by their formal education.

And so, what is happening is that now some people who have believed that they can knock up in their garage a device that will produce results that the combined efforts of the world's best automotive engineers cannot, have actually tried some of these devices.

And, now that they have discovered that they don't work, they think "oh - I know - I'll ask some scientists - they'll be able to answer all my questions."

So, to anyone in this category, let me give you a hand. It won't work. I have a PhD in electrochemistry, and I can tell you that the design of electrolysis cells is a hideously complex science, with concepts such as overvoltage, junction potentials, ionic mobilites and diffusion coefficients, Butler-Volmer equilibria, interfacial electron transfer kinetics, electrode resistivity and potential gradients, etc., etc.

But you don't need to understand any of this to know that it won't work. I'd have thought that the complete absence of this technology on any car currently being built or proposed would make it obvious to anyone whose IQ was greater than that of an apricot that it won't work.

To come onto this forum and to expect to be able to ask how to build one of these devices with a few tips is like a kindergarten child asking for tips on how to build a space shuttle.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 08:03:13 AM »

It's CO2 caused by the reaction of localised hydronium ions (caused by the reaction of ferric ions with water)  at the anode with the bicarb.

Are you trying to tell us that evolving CO2 makes foam, but evolving hydrogen and oxygen don't? I am not aware of any reason why this is going to happen. Foam is created when the water surface tension is low enough (hence surfactans contamination), in general it doesn't matter what gas evolves.

Offline aarothepharo

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »
Okay Mr. Mark Imisides

I feel we agree on some aspects and then disagree on some.

I do agree that that the big oil companys distroy all  ideas to save money or get off of gas completely. I also agree in a couple more aspects.

But
1. If you where to read my first post you will see that I said I'm only doing this as a fun project. I have no motive to bolt this thing to my car. Even if you are posting that to anyone else who may see it, why in the world did you put it in my thread. You had to shoot down my post about a fun little project to stop others from building a HOD (Hydrogen on demand) system for there car? Post your comment in someones thread who actually says they are building one.

2. Also I know a medium-high amout of chemistry I just post here to double check some of my observations. I felt like in your post you were shooting down my knowledge of chemistry. Being a PhD of electrochemistry you probably know more about the subject than I. However, that does not give you the right to crack upon people for not knowing as much chemistry as you. For say, when you said "Mostly they are newcomers, and mostly they know almost  no chemistry".

I Understand I called the NaCl and the Sodium bicarb a catalysts. It was late when I was posting my first post so My head called it a catalysts and not an electrolyte.

Now I understand that everyone is getting a little tired of hearing all these posts about the electrolysis of water. I see myself that a lot of people are posting this very subject, but in my first post the first line I wrote was "I know many of you are tired of seeing all these posts about the electrolysis of water "

If a PhD is going to make you do this, you might as well give it back.

Now if you would like to help me in my simple little project feel free to help.

Aarothepharo

Offline MusicChick24

• Very New Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 08:33:57 PM »
I agree with him  ;D

No one said he was trying to use it on his car, so if you aren't here to help him with his experiment keep your negative, no it all PhD attitude out of this particular thread!

<3

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
As a Citizen Scientist, I take offense at some of Mark Imisides New Member remarks. Obviously he is ranting, but he did it on the wrong thread. Although this thread may have been put in the wrong forum. I thought that typical entries here are for people asking questions for their general chemistry course (college implied), but we do not discourage other posts.

I have to agree that many of the hydrogen claims are bogus. But a Ph.D. discouraging experimentation for knowledge sake is abysmal. I hope he apologizes. By the way, I can point him many threads he should have put his post on.

I wish for Mark Imisides New Member to answer Borek surfactant reply to his post.

Aarothepharo - although based on some of your post my opinion of your chemistry knowledge is not the same as yours, please keep trying. Also I am sorry to have slightly hijacked your thread.

Some additional notes - I would try different electrodes than ones with iron in them. The most common one seen on responsible web sites are carbon based from batteries.

Offline aarothepharo

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 11:34:23 PM »
ok back to the post...what is a good electrolyte to use? Something that will greatly reduce the resistance of the water.
I can support up to 5 amps at 12V (its a car battery charger). Also some of you have said that stainless steel is not the way to go because it oxidizes. But I thought Stainless steel will never rust!!! Ok so Carbon electrodes? Like maybee Graphite? Remember Graphite has a resistance to electricty.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 11:57:52 PM »
The most common one seen on responsible web sites are carbon based from batteries.

The handbook on chemistry and physics has tables involving potassium and other chemicals. I always thought commercial systems used sodium, but I could be wrong. Also, if I remember correctly, there is a limit to the amount of electricity that will produce a good result.

Offline aarothepharo

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 12:09:13 AM »
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!! Potassium and Sodium
Those are alkali metals Mr.     They dont mix with water so well...so carbon rods in batteries are good for the electrodes?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 12:21:42 AM »
I am sorry, I misspoke. The potassium and sodium are in compounds such as potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide.

Yes, carbon rods – like I said do a search here or Google to see what they do

Offline aarothepharo

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 12:44:24 AM »
Ill look into the carbon.

Sodium hydroxide is caustic soda or lye...a little dangerous. But "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner is 20% NaOH so ill mix some in and hope for the best. The extra 80% is the problem. They might be bad contaminates.

KOH is another form of lye....I dont know where to get it as easily as the NaOH

Sponsored Links