April 16, 2024, 09:22:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extraction of amygdalin from apricot and peach kernels  (Read 33449 times)

Offline Namiantor01

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
Extraction of amygdalin from apricot and peach kernels
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »
Sup guys.

I have a question regarding the actual process of the extraction, whenever I do research on the extraction of amygdalin, I always get this:

"Amygdalin is extracted from almond or apricot kernel cake by boiling ethanol; on evaporation of the solution and the addition of diethyl ether."

Apart from the horrible syntax and word choice, the extraction sounds weird. Could somebody explain these steps in a less "bad?" manner?

Second: another process talks about the use of benzine (not benzene) for the apricot kernels, yet benzine is a mixture of a bunch of hydrocarbons, isn't it much better to use another, purer solvent?

Third: The merck index states "Melting point:  mp 200°; mp about 220° when anhydr; remelts at 125-130°" Are they talking about Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Help is much appreciated.

Oh btw, I don't live in the U.S thus it is not illegal, I am not trying to poison anyone.

(If this is in the wrong forum, then I'm sorry, please move it.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:19:05 PM by Namiantor01 »

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Extraction of amygdalin from apricot and peach kernels
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »
What exactly do you propose to do after you distill large quantities of something that metabolizes to cyanide......

Offline Namiantor01

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:40:28 PM »
A quantitative and qualitative analysis.

That is, if amygdalin contains 6% of cyanide by weight the final question "how many apricot/peach kernels will have to be eaten before death" will be solved, or something along those lines.

I'm doing this for my IB diploma, I don't want to kill anyone, plus look at the practicality of it, cyanide is made in much easier ways than by extracting it from this.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:59:16 PM by Namiantor01 »

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:15 PM »
"One hundred grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg."

"Cyanides – Toxicity (1)
Cyanide’s toxicity is due to its inhibition of oxidizing enzymes containing ferric
iron, particularly cytochrome oxidase, which results in interference with aerobic
respiration. Although hemoglobin is the highest reservoir of iron in the body, this
is ferrous iron and is not affected by cyanide. With the inhibition of aerobic
respiration, lactic acid accumulates and cells die from a histotoxic anoxia.
Cyanide is also reported to alter calcium metabolism and increased intracellular
calcium is suggested as a contributor to cell death.
Cyanides – Toxicity
Both HCN and CK are highly toxic. While exposure to 60 mg-min/m3 of HCN in
air generally causes no serious symptoms, tripling that exposure to roughly 200
mg-min/m3 is fatal within 10 minutes, and ten times that dose is immediately
fatal. One of the other main differences between HCN and CK is that CK also
possesses lung irritant properties much like phosgene or chlorine. These irritant
effects are present at very low exposure rates. Just 2.5 mg-min/m3 of CK
produces eye and upper airway irritation within 10 minutes and doubling that dose
is intolerable at the 10 minute mark. CK requires an exposure of 400 mg-min/m3
to cause death within 10 minutes."

"Protective Equipment
Since cyanide can be absorbed through the skin and mucous membranes,
chemical-protective clothing must be used in areas of exposure. A military-style
gas mask is required for protection from inhalation, and to neutralize the cyanide,
the mask’s filter must contain silver oxide. Because the silver oxide is used up
deactivating the cyanide, the filter must be changed after exposure."

http://bioterrorism.slu.edu/bt/products/ahec_chem/scripts/Cyanide.pdf

Are you equipped to deal with HCN gas if it evolves?  I'd need a reputable paper on the extraction of amygdalin for me to even consider trying it - I wouldn't put my life on the line on the word of anyone on this forum.  Could you maybe talk to your professors and ask them to point you in the right direction?  Or use your college's database?

Offline Namiantor01

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »
Well, there is no cyanide in apricot seeds; yes, there is amygdalin in it, but that by itself isn't poisonous unless ingested at very high ammounts.

The thermal decomposition of amygdalin is much higher than its boiling point.

Will someone answer the original questions? I know you are very concerned about what I am doing, if it comes to the point of wearing masks I will.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
I wasn't talking about releasing it by boiling it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide

yes, amygdalin is a cyanide containing compound

Offline Namiantor01

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:10:06 PM »
So, by eating table salt, I will be consuming a poisonous element?

The chances that cyanide exist alone in the pips is very unlikely.

That's like saying the chlorine in table salt is gonna kill me over time if left long enough in a sunny place.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »
No, but as an analogy, if you were to electrolyze a table salt solution in an attempt to purify it, you'd release chlorine gas.

Offline Namiantor01

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 04:54:40 AM »
Anyone with answers to my questions?

Offline swampy-1979

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »
Amygdalin is NOT metabolised into cyanide this is a myth perpetrated all over the web, human beings do not posses the required unlocking enzyme for this to happen!

Only cancer cells posses beta-glucosidase required to unlock the cyanide,

Many foods, including vitamin B12, contain cyanide. But they are safe because the cyanide remains bound and locked as part of another molecule.

There is an enzyme in normal cells to catch some free cyanide molecules and render them harmless by combining them with sulphur. That enzyme is rhodanese. By binding the cyanide to sulphuric rhodanese, it is converted to a cyanate, which is a neutral substance. Then it is easily passed through the urine with no harm to the normal cells.

Cancer cells thrive on fermenting sugar instead of metabolising with oxygen. Amygdalin contains two glucose molecules. So the amygdalin molecules are quite appealing to sugar hungry cancer cells. And cancer cells contain an enzyme that normal cells do not share, beta-glucosidase.

This enzyme is considered the unlocking enzyme for amygdalin molecules. It releases both the benzaldehyde and the cyanide, creating a toxic synergy that destroys cancer cells. The cancer cell`s beta-glucosidase enzyme causes cancer cells to self destruct by opening themselves to the cyanide and benzaldehyde.

This is how cancer cells are tricked and targeted by amygdalin. Chemotherapy does not discriminate. It kills healthy cells and destroys one`s immune system.

Offline Ksharindam

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
All methods for extraction of organic compounds from natural source use solvent extraction process.you can use any liquid chemical which can dissolve the compound but will not react.solvent can be mixed hydrocarbon but you have to remove the solvent completely from the compound.relatively volatile nonpolar liquid is good choice as solvent.you can find the melting point by searching in the net and books.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »
Amygdalin is NOT metabolised into cyanide this is a myth perpetrated all over the web, human beings do not posses the required unlocking enzyme for this to happen!

I don't believe this statement is correct.  And I doubt the others that follow it are true as well.  The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdalin#cite_note-4 has many citation in peer-reviewed articles that would suggest that Amygdalin is metabolized to cyanide in the human gut, and many healthy people have poisoned themselves with the slightest of errors in consumption.  Just eating large amounts of the kernels can kill.  There's no reason to revive a 4 year old thread for a biased account.  Frankly I'd like to lock this thread, but I'd hate to seem petty.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links