April 25, 2024, 01:36:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 4 Molecules & Compounds Questions  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Funk Master Widge

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
4 Molecules & Compounds Questions
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »
These problems are the early ones on a worksheet that I have no clue on, there may be more later but I am getting the balancing and naming problems right now..

1- The structural formula for acetic acid is CH3CO2H. What is its empirical formula, and molecular formula?
-The molecular formula of aspartame (nutrasweet) is C14H18O5N2. Draw its structural formula.

2 - The formulas for ethanol and ammonium nitrate are C2H5OH and NH4NO3.  In what respects are these formulas and compounds different?

3 - The molecular formula for both butanol and diethylether is C4H10O.  Write structural formulas for both and show how they are different.  Are any other structures possible?

4 - Name the polyatomic ions:
CH3CO2-
H2PO4-

if anyone can do any of these thanks a bunch

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: 4 Molecules & Compounds Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
if anyone can do any of these thanks a bunch
No, actually we can't.  You need to show some work on your part.

If you don't know what an empirical or molecular formula is, google it.
If you don't know what the name of the polyatomic ions are, google it.

If you still can't figure things out, then show us what you DO know, and what you understand, and explain what you need help with.  We don't just do homework for you.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »
Sorry for using the T word..jesus christ i know all of that I can't figure it out because I don't know if you can reorganize acetic acid to c1h4o2 and reduce to 1-2-1.  The first 2 polyatomic ions in numero cuatro dont show up on wikipedia or google...and i dont know if #2 literally wants to know that the second compound has no C in it because I've never been asked a question posed like that before..or is it because the hydrogens are split up on the ethanol? And I cant find c4H10o anywhere in my textbook, google, or wikipedia....

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »
Sorry for using the T word..jesus christ i know all of that I can't figure it out because I don't know if you can reorganize acetic acid to c1h4o2 and reduce to 1-2-1.  The first 2 polyatomic ions in numero cuatro dont show up on wikipedia or google...and i dont know if #2 literally wants to know that the second compound has no C in it because I've never been asked a question posed like that before..or is it because the hydrogens are split up on the ethanol? And I cant find c4H10o anywhere in my textbook, google, or wikipedia....

http://www.google.com/search?q=c4h10o&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.google.com/search?q=ch3co2-&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

you can try to find H2PO4- on your own.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
i know all of that I can't figure it out because I don't know if you can reorganize acetic acid to c1h4o2 and reduce to 1-2-1.
Ok, good.  See you do know what you are doing, and all you needed to do was explain what you were having issues with.  The formula in the problem, is called a Condensed Structural Formula.  When you write the molecular formula, as C2H4O2, you see that you can reduce it as you described to CH2O.  Either I'll respond more later when I have time, or someone else can cover it.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Okay for #1 I am going to keep the structural formula as it is and then group the atoms together to simplify it to 1:2:1 for C:H:O to get the empirical.  I googled for the structural formula of acrylonitrile, though I cannot find one for aspartame that we learned last year in GT chem so i'll use the complicated one.

For #2 im stating the simple distinctions in terms of which has different atoms in different places, but I don't know if thats right..they both have oxidations of +1 and -1 so i dont know what to say about them.

In #3 i did my best and i said that H2PO4 was phosphoric acid and that ch3co2 was ethanoic acid...aka vinegar?? thats all i know/can get now

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 03:10:20 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

Question 2 seems to be vague, I would go for ionic/non ionic.

#3 - these are anions, not the acids itself.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links