April 19, 2024, 07:18:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Naming compounds: Prefixes & redundancy  (Read 3125 times)

Offline lemonhead

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Naming compounds: Prefixes & redundancy
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a question about naming organic molecules. When we name substituents in a molecule, we must specify both the carbon number on which each appears AND add a prefix (di, tri, tetra, etc) on the substituent name. A basic example would be 2, 4 - dimehtylhexane.

My question is: When would the addition of the prefix give you any *additional* information about the molecule's structure? It seems that by including the carbon number on which the substituent appear, there is already enough information. Are the prefixes just a naming convention that doesn't convey extra information, or are there cases in which these prefixes will be useful? If so, when/how?

Thanks!

Lemonhead

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Naming compounds: Prefixes & redundancy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:07:07 AM »
I think the dimethylhexane gives you the molecule - the 2,4 is the specific information.  It would just sound a bit wrong to me to say 2,4-methyl hexane, because methylhexane by definition is just hexane with a methyl group on it, not 2. So I suppose it doesn't give any extra information other than to give you the correct name, with the numbers giving position.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links