April 26, 2024, 07:16:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Biology Question  (Read 6921 times)

Offline fifa2005xbox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Biology Question
« on: September 27, 2008, 08:04:27 PM »
Proteins associated with the plasma membrane can be classified as either integral membrane proteins or peripheral membrane proteins. For the following types of proteins, please specify whether they would be integral or peripheral.
Glucose transporter
Sodium-potassium pump
Ion channel

-I think that peripheral membranes are only on one side of the membrane whereas integral proteins are on both sides of the membrane. Therefore, I thought that glucose transporter was integral, sodium potassium was integral, and ion channel was peripheral. What am I doing wrong???

MY NEXT QUESTION:
Transport of large or hydrophilic molecules across the plasma membrane can occur via facilitated diffusion or via active transport. For the following types of proteins, please indicated which type of transport is involved.

Ion channel
Glucose transporter GLUT-1
Sodium-potassium pump

Active transport is when molecules can cross against the concentration gradient whereas faclitated diffusion can't go across the concentration gradient. So this is what I did: for ion channel, I said faclitated diffusion, glucose transporter is active transport, and sodium potassium pump is active transport. Where am I going wrong?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Biology Question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »
Proteins associated with the plasma membrane can be classified as either integral membrane proteins or peripheral membrane proteins. For the following types of proteins, please specify whether they would be integral or peripheral.
Glucose transporter
Sodium-potassium pump
Ion channel

-I think that peripheral membranes are only on one side of the membrane whereas integral proteins are on both sides of the membrane. Therefore, I thought that glucose transporter was integral, sodium potassium was integral, and ion channel was peripheral. What am I doing wrong???

Ion channels transport ions from one side of the membrane to the other.  How could it work if it were only on one side of the membrane?

MY NEXT QUESTION:
Transport of large or hydrophilic molecules across the plasma membrane can occur via facilitated diffusion or via active transport. For the following types of proteins, please indicated which type of transport is involved.

Ion channel
Glucose transporter GLUT-1
Sodium-potassium pump

Active transport is when molecules can cross against the concentration gradient whereas faclitated diffusion can't go across the concentration gradient. So this is what I did: for ion channel, I said faclitated diffusion, glucose transporter is active transport, and sodium potassium pump is active transport. Where am I going wrong?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_transporter

Offline fifa2005xbox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Biology Question
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

The hint allowed me to get the correct answer. Have a great weekend.

Sponsored Links