April 26, 2024, 09:28:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: H202 + acetone + HCL  (Read 7869 times)

elzz

H202 + acetone + HCL
« on: April 19, 2005, 04:46:33 PM »
:Edited: The synthesis of explosives are inappropriate.~Mitch

acetone peroxide crystals are supposed to precipitate out of the solution, which can then be filtered and saved.

my question is, will this reaction actually produce crystalized acetone peroxide, and my other question is, how safe is this to do
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 09:35:16 PM by Mitch »

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:H202 + acetone + HCL
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 05:52:31 PM »
This is a question that will get locked pretty soon here, not really an explosives place.

I will tell you though, that acetone peroxide, indeed any organic peroxides, are very dangerous, due to their instability.

Acetone peroxide made with HCl as an acid catalyst, is actually more dangerous, as it tends to form an even more unstable, dimeric form, whereas acetone peroxide made with H2SO4, results in the trimeric form, which is slightly less unstable.

It is STILL VERY DANGEROUS though, and I really wouldn't advise making it, it is quite likely to blow off yor hand or fingers. DON'T make AP unless you are expreienced in chemistry, and damn well KNOW what you are doing.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:H202 + acetone + HCL
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 06:09:01 PM »
Even if you do know what you're doing, DON'T EVER DO IT!  It is highly unstable, highly dangerous, and highly prone to going KABOOM when you least expect it.  If it were safe to make, many governments would use it as a millitary explosive.  Since it's so unstable and dangerous, however, not even the millitary will use it.  To prevent any further discussion on this subject, this thread will now be closed.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links