April 25, 2024, 06:50:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Creating a Phosphate buffer !  (Read 7202 times)

Offline sainte

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Creating a Phosphate buffer !
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:25:45 AM »
Assume you have a 1.0 mM solution of Na3PO4 and a 1.0 mM solution of NaH2PO4. What are the pHs of these solutions if they are in equilibrium with atmospheric CO2? How much of each solution would you need to mix in order to make 500 mL of phosphate buffer having a pH of 7.0.

visual-minteq can be used to provide other details for this
http://www.lwr.kth.se/english/OurSoftWare/Vminteq/

but i am sure it can be worked out without it too.

all help is mucho appreciated.

Offline sainte

Re: Creating a Phosphate buffer !
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
if someone can just get me started on this would help me a lot .

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
First question requires information about partial pressure of atmospheric CO2, Henry's constant for CO2, and two equilibria - carbon dioxide reaction with water to create carbinc acid, and carbonic acid dissociation. These equilibria are quite often combined into one, sometimes together with carbon dioxide dissolution.

Does the second question requires you to use CO2 saturated solutions, or just solutions as given? If carbon dixoide is to be ignored that is rather simple buffer question, if not - you will most likely have to deal with rather complex system.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sainte

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:39:24 PM »
yes CO2 has to be added into it , i dont know if u have ever used visual minteq ,

the program lets you add ions as seperate components into the software like if i wanted to enter

Na3PO4 , it will be entered as Na+ = 3.0mM , H+ = 1.0mM , PO4-3 = 1.0mM

then i run the program and it gives me a pH of just this solution in water as 8.230 , ofcourse in gases you add CO2 as a component aswell.

then i do the same for NaH2PO4 and i get 5.092

now what i have are conc. of H+ and PO4-3 and Na+ to tweak in the prog to get a ph = 7 from those conc.

and thats where i am having a problem , thx.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
i dont know if u have ever used visual minteq

I am not using equilibrium programs, I am writing them ;)

Na3PO4 , it will be entered as Na+ = 3.0mM , H+ = 1.0mM , PO4-3 = 1.0mM

Recheck what you wrote.

then i run the program and it gives me a pH of just this solution in water as 8.230 , ofcourse in gases you add CO2 as a component aswell.

then i do the same for NaH2PO4 and i get 5.092

now what i have are conc. of H+ and PO4-3 and Na+ to tweak in the prog to get a ph = 7 from those conc.

and thats where i am having a problem , thx.

No idea how minteq works, but I would be not suprised if it will work OK if you start with H3PO4 and NaOH, this is equivalent to PO43- and Na+ mixture. Try to find (by trial and error) such ratio of NaOH and H3PO4 that pH is 7.00, then calculate how to mix Na3PO4 and NaH2PO4 to get identical solution.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links