April 19, 2024, 07:12:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: toluene is non-polar?  (Read 26057 times)

Offline jumper1127

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
toluene is non-polar?
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »
Why toluene is a non-polar molecule? It doesn't have a dipole moment?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: toluene is non-polar?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »
Yea

Offline jumper1127

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 12:49:28 PM »
Yea

I think toluene should have a dipole moment, maybe it's quite weak. The structure is not symmetric.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »
I would agree that toluene has a very small dipole moment, but you're not seeing the full reason I don't think.  A molecule can be asymmetrical and no net dipole moment.  Precursory glance would suggest toluene has no dipole moment due to all carbon carbon bonds, but the higher electronegativity of sp2 orbitals relative to sp3 orbitals may inductively draw some of the electron density out of the methyl group and into the arene, creating a small (pretty much insignificant) dipole moment.

If my reasoning here is wrong, someone please correct me!

Offline jumper1127

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
I would agree that toluene has a very small dipole moment, but you're not seeing the full reason I don't think.  A molecule can be asymmetrical and no net dipole moment.  Precursory glance would suggest toluene has no dipole moment due to all carbon carbon bonds, but the higher electronegativity of sp2 orbitals relative to sp3 orbitals may inductively draw some of the electron density out of the methyl group and into the arene, creating a small (pretty much insignificant) dipole moment.

It seems that my professor never talked about this in lectures. And my book doesn't talk about this in the dipole moment part either. But we have to deal with this kind of problems in our homework.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »
0.36 D
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »

It seems that my professor never talked about this in lectures. And my book doesn't talk about this in the dipole moment part either. But we have to deal with this kind of problems in our homework.

I'd say based on your knowledge, your professor would expect you to consider it nonpolar with no dipole moment, but you should probably ask him.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 02:41:31 PM »
That is what I was saying nj.  It seemed that you can effecitvely call it nonpolar.  It really has a fairly negligible dipole moment.

Sponsored Links