April 19, 2024, 06:58:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: alcohols undergoing SN1 substitution  (Read 6335 times)

Offline physstudent1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
alcohols undergoing SN1 substitution
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:38:43 AM »
Alcohols are bad leaving groups but if they are protonated they can become leaving groups correct?  I'm wondering when should I predict that an alcohol will be protonated and when should I know that an alcohol will not be protonated and will not be a LG.  The only thing I could come up with so far is that if an alcohol is reacting with a strong base it will be protonated is this correct are there any other conditions that will protonate an alcohol? thanks a lot.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: alcohols undergoing SN1 substitution
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:53 AM »
I don't know much about the specific subject matter, but it would seem to me alcohols would be protonated by strong acids... not strong bases.  The C-O bonding electrons could then attack the positively charged oxygen to leave as neutral H2O.  So any acid with a pKa lower than the pKa of RO-H would be able to protonate the alcohol.

Haven't learned my SN reactions, but this seems logical to me.  Take it for what it's worth.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:30:11 AM »
nj, well done, you are pretty much dead on!  If the alcohol is in a medium where it has a higher pKa, then it will abstract the proton and become a better neutral H2.  Good reasoning!

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:04:49 AM »
The C-O bonding electrons could then attack the positively charged oxygen

Not exactly sure what you're saying here, but I think the language could be tightened up a bit.

If you're talking about the mechanism by which the alcohol becomes protonated, then a lone pair on the oxygen belonging to the alcohol moves to attack a proton on the acid.  The lone pair on the oxygen forms a sigma bond to the proton, and the electrons in the proton-acid bond move on to the acid to form the conjugate base.  The oxygen of the alcohol is now sigma bonded to two protons and a carbon, and thus has a positive charge.

I think you're talking about the subsequent substitution reaction, though.  Here, the electrons in the carbon-oxygen bond of the C-O+H2 group can heterolytically cleave and both electrons can move on to the oxygen atom.  This leaves a carbocation and neutral water (I think this is what you were saying).  This is the rate determining step of the SN1 reaction.  It's not an 'attack,' just a heterolytic cleavage.

But bottom line, both of you are right.  To protonate an alcohol, you need an acid with a lower pka than the protonated alcohol.  A strong base will deprotonate an alcohol, making it an even worse leaving group (O2-) than it already is (O-)
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:16:08 AM »
[quoteThis leaves a carbocation and neutral water (I think this is what you were saying).  This is the rate determining step of the SN1 reaction.  It's not an 'attack,' just a heterolytic cleavage.
[/quote]

Yes.  Haven't learned this yet, so terminology failure.

Offline physstudent1

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:17:04 PM »
what i meant to type was strong acid i don't know why I typed strong base, the one thing i don't get is that if the pkA of the acid was lower then the pkA of the protanted alcohol wouldn't that mean the acid is weaker then the protanted alcohol?  I know that HCL can protonate OH- but HCL's pka should be higher than waters shouldn't it?

Offline physstudent1

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »
nvm i get it now i was thinking of pkA wrong, the higher the kA the lower the pkA so the stronger the acid the lower the pkA right? 

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:36:10 PM »
the stronger the acid the lower the pkA right? 

yes
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links