April 18, 2024, 05:16:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: color chemistry - colors of aqueous solutions:  (Read 13240 times)

Offline treviang09

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
color chemistry - colors of aqueous solutions:
« on: October 30, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
sodium carbonate

hydrochloric acid

sodium chromate

sodium chloride

iron III nitrate

sodium hydroxide

potassium nitrate

lead II nitrate

all in aqueous form...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: color chemistry - colors of aqueous solutions:
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:28:09 PM »
Please read forum rules.

You just don't ask. You try, you tell us what you did, we push you in the right direction.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline treviang09

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »
Please read forum rules.

You just don't ask. You try, you tell us what you did, we push you in the right direction.

the point of the lab is to research the colors of these solutions, and i am having bad luck on google. my teacher said this would be hard but i should ask around, so i did. im not asking for answers, im asking for help in starting the lab. knowing the colors of these is the start, not the answer.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »
1) the color of the crystals is -usually- an ok indicator of the color of the aqueous solution.  usually.

2) 'clear' is not a color

3) google "compound name solution MSDS."  If you find the MSDS that is specifically for the solution, the 'physical and chemical properties' section (section 9) will tell you the color of the solution.  jtbaker has good, free, msds's.

I was able to find at least a website identifying the solution color, if not the actual msds, for every compound on your list.  get googling :)
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline treviang09

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »
1) the color of the crystals is -usually- an ok indicator of the color of the aqueous solution.  usually.

3) google "compound name solution MSDS."  If you find the MSDS that is specifically for the solution, the 'physical and chemical properties' section (section 9) will tell you the color of the solution.  jtbaker has good, free, msds's.

I was able to find at least a website identifying the solution color, if not the actual msds, for every compound on your list.  get googling :)

i found that:
copper II cloride IS LIGHT BLUE
copper II sulfate IS DARK BLUE
sodium chromate IS YELLOW
iron III nitrate IS ORANGE

the rest are clear in aqueous form, correct?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »
There should be some pictures in your textbook.  Failing that, you can do a Google image search, for the chemical name, and you might find some pictures.  You might also try the library, if your textbook is lacking in good pictures.

We really like, on these boards, to help a person try and find things out, like Borek: said.  There's not much we can do to offer help -- either you read that copper sulfate is blue, or you see a picture, or you go look at a solution that's been prepared.  Your teacher's suggestion, "to just ask around" really isn't a great plan, unless they secretly wanted you to meet other students and professors, with color queries as an excuse.

Besides, you've read that copper sulfate is dark blue and copper chloride is light blue.  So what?  Unless you've seen it, and not a photo either, you won't really get all the nuances of shades of color to make it worthwhile. 

Wanna be a real @$$?  Tell 'em that copper chloride and copper sulfate are both blue.  Just that. Blue. When they go, "No no, the sulfate solution is darker than the chloride solution," ask them ""What about a weak copper sulfate solution vs a concentrated copper chloride solution?"  Yes, the may be nuances of shades of blue, even in that case, but are you really gonna learn that by asking a text forum?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »

Other than that, if that's what you found, and you trust the source, then go with those answers.  I didn't go back and verify your answers, though.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links