April 16, 2024, 03:51:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: advantages of colorimetric method over titration  (Read 22935 times)

Offline cmquer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
advantages of colorimetric method over titration
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:25:32 AM »
what are the advantages of colorimetric method over the titration method when determine the phosphoric acid content in cola sample?

Also, despite that the diluting samples can fall within the applicable range, is there any other reason(s) for diluting sample in colorimetric analysis?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: advantages of colorimetric method over titration
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 05:52:54 AM »
Weren't you told to read forum rules?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline food

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: advantages of colorimetric method over titration
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 10:25:19 PM »
One big advantage is that the proportionality constant between the measured quantity and the weight of the analyte can be derived from known physical constants. I did a coulometric analysis once, and used Faraday's constant to determine how many electrons were basically flowing - thereby using some stoichiometry and determing concentration of the unknown. So basically, no standardization or calibration is required. Also Coulometric methods are faster and more convenient than volumetric or gravimetric procedures and they are readily adapted to automation.

don't copy my stuff word for word - or I will find and destroy you. and your lab.

Sponsored Links