March 28, 2024, 01:00:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lewis Structure for CaO  (Read 24184 times)

Offline nikita

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Lewis Structure for CaO
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »
Once again this is a question for homework, but this automated program is really not helping me.  Since I keep losing points for not using the program correctly, rather than making mistakes, I thought maybe I could pass this by you guys to at least see if I understand the concept.

the question reads:
Write a Lewis structure for each of the following ionic compounds.
Draw the particle by placing atoms on the grid and connecting them with bonds. Include all lone pairs of electrons and nonbonding electrons. Show the formal charges of all atoms in the correct structure.
CaO

I thought in ionic lewis structures, the idea was to show that the electrons are transferred, rather than shared.  Isnt that the point?  In my book and in class, the structures were drawn like
(ok, clearly O in brackets is some kind of code and it wont come out normal.  so pretend there are brackets around oxygen.)

[Ca]2+  +   O2-   (with 8 dots around the O)

is this the idea?  for another question, the lewis structure of NaF, I have attached the lewis structure that the program said was correct.  In this picture, there is a bond between the Na and F.  Does this make sense, or is it normal to attach ionic lewis structures via a bond?

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Lewis Structure for CaO
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:55:21 PM »
hi nikita, yes ionic compounds are drawn with the bracket and not with lines as that would meant covalent bonding. But as long as you are clear in your mind that it is an ionic bond it should be okay.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nikita

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Lewis Structure for CaO
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »
^
thank you.  that is what i thought i had learned.  Im increasingly frustrated with these homework programs as they confuse me and arent necessarily helping me.  I do have to live with the lower points in score or learn how to submit the problem with way the program wants it.  to me, this defeats the purpose of homework, but oh well.  thank you!

Sponsored Links