April 18, 2024, 07:21:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ? type of credentials are necessary to purchase/sell chemicals.  (Read 3669 times)

Offline mahar.sean

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
? type of credentials are necessary to purchase/sell chemicals.
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
I do not want or need 'restricted' chemicals.  I do have several ideas that would require purchasing bulk compounds, etc.  Is there any way to get permission to do this myself?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: ? type of credentials are necessary to purchase/sell chemicals.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
It really depends, on the particular reagents, and the vendor.  As I recall, when I worked for a small company trying to develop a new instrument, as long as the company was incorporated, and registered as such, we could order reagents of the sort normally found in a university lab -- TRIS, borate buffers, etc. Even dangerous things, like ethidium bromide, ammonium persulfate, and the like, in research amounts, were fine.  Once we ordered 1 N nitric, and Sigma called, just to casually ask about the credentials of the end-user -- did they know the risks?  Fortunately, it was ordered by my boss, who did have a Ph.D., and that was enough for them.  A guy nearby fount Sigma-Aldric's procedure to be annoying -- because it really doesn't help prevent accidents or lawsuits, one can say anything on the phone.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links