April 24, 2024, 01:51:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Octet Rule  (Read 6793 times)

ME1987

Octet Rule
« on: May 02, 2005, 09:45:33 AM »
My question is:"Use the octet rule to explain why powdered aluminum can behave as it is thought to have done in the Hindenburg tragedy."  I know that the octet rule says that atoms are most stable if they have a filled or empty outer layer of electrons.  I can't find what the outer layer of electrons is powdered aluminum.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Octet Rule
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 10:26:55 AM »
Take a look at a periodic table.  If you are familiar with the s, p, and d blocks you should easily be able to figure out what aluminum's outer shell electron configuration is.  (BTW, there is absolutely ZERO difference between powdered aluminum and regular aluminum in terms of electronic configuration).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Octet Rule
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »
It may be refering to a reaction that occurred with the aluminum powder and some other substance. The question is asking what the aluminum reacted with and why. The reaction probably gives off heat and which is why it is a theory for the Hindenburg explosion. Try googling it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:56:07 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links