March 29, 2024, 04:32:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Storing Acetone  (Read 81097 times)

razorm

Storing Acetone
« on: May 03, 2005, 04:27:59 AM »

Hi,

I recently got a hold of some Acetone for cleaning purposes of camera equipment.

The lab tech that gave this to me suggested that a regular clear water plastic bottle would work fine to hold it.

After reading the 'extreme flammible' cautions on the web for Acetone, & seeing the plastic bottle change shape, i'm wondering if this is hte best container for it?

Does anyone have any recommendations? I do need to travel with it, so glass wich seems the best is not really an option.

ps. as for the plastic bottle, after a weekend of travelling, THe bottle looks like it's inflated coz the contours of the bottle is all flattened out (i'm guessing from the acetone vapourizing - i'm in the tropics) but then again, the label that goes around the whole circumference of the bottle is now looser than before the bottle changed shape...which suggests that the bottle shrunk!?!? Very confusing!!

hemispheredancer

Re:Storing Acetone
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 07:40:06 AM »
To store acetone for any length of time use a LDPE (low density polyethylene).  Nalgene makes a variety of them and can be found at most outdoors stores.  Just make sure they are LDPE, not HDPE (high density polyethylene) or some other plastic.  They will hold up but for long time storage you need LDPE.  

GCT

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:25:32 AM »

Hi,

I recently got a hold of some Acetone for cleaning purposes of camera equipment.

The lab tech that gave this to me suggested that a regular clear water plastic bottle would work fine to hold it.

After reading the 'extreme flammible' cautions on the web for Acetone, & seeing the plastic bottle change shape, i'm wondering if this is hte best container for it?

Does anyone have any recommendations? I do need to travel with it, so glass wich seems the best is not really an option.

ps. as for the plastic bottle, after a weekend of travelling, THe bottle looks like it's inflated coz the contours of the bottle is all flattened out (i'm guessing from the acetone vapourizing - i'm in the tropics) but then again, the label that goes around the whole circumference of the bottle is now looser than before the bottle changed shape...which suggests that the bottle shrunk!?!? Very confusing!!

how about buying some nail polish remover?

hemispheredancer

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 12:03:31 PM »
Most nailpolish removers have more than just acetone as an ingredient.  Some of the newer kinds don't even have acetone in them.  Even the kinds sol as pure acetone nailpolish removers still have other ingredients.  

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 03:41:47 PM »
All the times that I've seen acetone sold in a hardware store it came in larger metal containers with a screw on cap.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 08:23:34 PM »
Acetone does vaporize, and the vapors are extremely flammable. A small spark near the source is usually enough to cause it to burn. It doesn't explode; it just goes poof and burns at varying times depending on it's concentration. If the acetone is in high concentration in the bottle try dilluting it in distilled water which can be bought cheaply from craft stores and places like Home Depot. Also try what the other guy said about the LDP. Different plastics respond differently.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

razorm

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:49:37 PM »
To store acetone for any length of time use a LDPE (low density polyethylene).  Nalgene makes a variety of them and can be found at most outdoors stores.  Just make sure they are LDPE, not HDPE (high density polyethylene) or some other plastic.  They will hold up but for long time storage you need LDPE.  

Thanks Dancer...I'm assuming the common white plastic is the LDPE & the clear "lexan" type bottles are HDPE....otherwise, i checked 1 of my bottles & it doesn't specfically say....

GCT

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 10:03:09 AM »
in my lab acetone is simply stored in a plastic bottle, for use a cleaning agent.  Whatever container you use, try not to shake it around too much, that may be the root of your problem in the first place; it'll cause the pressure to build, especially at higher temperatures.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 08:42:15 PM »
Take the advice of a 75 year old DuPont chemist: for long term storage, metal is the only container you want for acetone.  That was my organic lab professor.  That guy could do some amazing experimental work.  He'd specifically tried every plastic bottle he could get his hands on, and every plastic he found unsatisfactory.  The best thing to do is to get a metal can that's of the smallest size possible for what you're doing.  That's why the sell it in metal cans at Home Depot, etc.  Acetone either dissolves or swells just about any plastic, given time.  Some, like the polyethylenes, hold up better than others, but after a long time, they'll all at least swell.

Just my 2c.

GCT

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 04:55:02 PM »
yeah I understand your point and agree with it generally

I'm sure acetone has limited storage conditions (such as temperature)...something about the image of a acetone bottle being vigorously shaken in tropical weather doesn't sound right to me, insulation might be another important factor, and leaving acetone in a metal container out in the sun...might not be the best way.

hemispheredancer

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 10:35:20 PM »
Thanks for the insight HMX9123.  I cannont agree more that longterm storage is definately and issue.  My biggest concern would be the traveling with acetone.  Definately keep it in a cool place, the vapor pressure will without a doubt do damage to any container if allowed to build up long enough.  

razorm

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 09:45:44 PM »
DAncer,

How dangerous can it be exactly?

I take about a half litre with me....& considering it's so flammable, would most airlines refuse to bring it onboard? As well, in luggage, i'm sure it'll get tossed around a little bit too.

HMX, it came out of the lab in a brown glass bottle w/ a thin metal screw-on lid which has a plastic pad inside (presumably for the seal but not sure the material exactly) originally. That's what I've reverted to storing it in after the plastic one morphed into another shape.  

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 05:41:00 AM »
Glass is perfect on the shelf, not so fit for travel. Plastic pad was probably carefully selected (more or less carefully :) ) to not dissolve in the acetone, swelling will only make it tighter.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 05:00:18 PM »
You could always use one of those 'breathable' caps that most volatile organic liquids are stored in.  It allows excess 'gas' inside the container to escape if the pressure builds up too high.  Many hydrogen peroxide bottles have these caps on them.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links