April 18, 2024, 11:49:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: acids and bases distilled water  (Read 5326 times)

Offline victornumber

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
acids and bases distilled water
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
I don't really have a clue how to do the following question. The only thing that I can tell is that since it is distilled water [H3O+][OH-]=kw and [H3O+]=[OH-].
Since the water is in equilibrium with air, the value of kw would be larger than 1.0X10^-14 due to more dissociation of water. In equilibium with air I think it means that the vapor pressure of water is the same as the atmospheric pressure. This is all I got. Does this have to also do with the gas law and the Clausius-Clapeyron Equation since it is partly dealing with gases and we know that the air pressure at 0C is 101.325kpa. Need hints please.

Find the pH of a sample of distilled water in equilibrium with air at temperature T (express your answer as a function of the relevant variables, don't make calculations).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: acids and bases distilled water
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 06:38:08 PM »
What gases - other then O2, N2 and Ar - are present in the air?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline victornumber

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »
CO2, Ne, Helium, Kr, NO2, and Hydrogen and others but these I would say are not significant value since the three main components of air are N2, O2, and Ar but what has this have to do with the question?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 03:48:03 PM »
Any acidic oxide between these?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline victornumber

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:29:42 AM »
I would think CO2 and NO2. Do you mean that we also have to take these into account?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 02:24:55 AM »
CO2 only. pH of pure water saturated with atmospheric CO2 is somewhere between 5.5 and 6.0 (5.6?).

Offline victornumber

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 02:40:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply but the question we got we can only solve with variables and I can's seem to relate it. That is what is so hard.

Find the pH of a sample of distilled water in equilibrium with air at temperature T (express your answer as a function of the relevant variables, don't make calculations).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 03:59:20 AM »
Relevant variables are IMHO - air composition, Henry constant, Ka values. Perhaps your prof was aiming at something else (no idea in what context this question was asked), but in practice CO2 is the most important factor here.

Sponsored Links