April 25, 2024, 08:58:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How Do I Start My Own Lab?  (Read 16129 times)

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
How Do I Start My Own Lab?
« on: May 09, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »
Alright, here is my plan.

I'm moving out of Toronto with my family sometime this summer, and I would like to start my own lab. I'd build a shack at a safe distance from the house (hehehe), and start in there. Now, as you might have guessed, I need to get apparatus, chemicals, and such. I've already got a meager collection of chemicals and a little apparatus. I therefore need a supplier who ships to individuals in Canada. Please help me.

Oh, and here is a complete list of what I have:

Chemicals:
-calcium hydroxide
-copper sulfate
-cobalt chloride mixture (25 percent CoCl2, & 75 percent NaCl)
-guar gum
-activated charcoal
-eriochrome black T (EBT)
-iron filings
-sodium carbonate
-ferric ammonium sulfate
-sodium hydrogen sulfate
-magnesium sulfate
-sulfuric acid
-methyl orange
-ion echange resin
-aluminum sulfate
-borax

Apparatus:
-3 test tubes
-2 100Ml flasks
-1 250Ml flask
-1 graduated 10Ml cylinder

Other Accessories:
-plastic gloves
-goggles

That's it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 04:43:03 PM by P-man »
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Mr. Pink

Re:How Do I Start My Own Lab?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:03:32 PM »
Wow, doesnt look like your building explosives at all ::)

Grumples

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:20:57 PM »
Well, it depends on what you want to do.  Of course, you can get lab supplies that you can use for everything, but as far as chemicals, it really depends on what you plan on doing.  if I were you, I'd just come up with an experiment, and then buy the necessary chemicals.  

There are some basic things you would probably want to just have around (like strong acids and bases), but I think you have most of them.  I'd suggest nitric acid (dangerous, but very useful), and maybe ammonia.  

As far as equipment, again, it depends on what you plan on doing.  You might want to look into centrifuges, hot plates with magnetic stirring, crucibles, crucible and test tube tongs, perhaps some sort of portable bunsen burner, and a bunch of cheap, disposable test tubes, pipets, and beakers.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 08:10:46 PM »
Actually, from that list of chemicals, you're probably just doing regular chemistry.  I don't really see any obvious explosive-making material on there.

Anyway, Grumples has the right idea.  Figure out what you want to do first, then pick up the chemicals.  Be careful that you're set up legally.  We're dealing with a big problem in the US right now and beginning to have our 4th amendment rights violated with regards to unlawful searches of homes.  It's sad, because even if whatever is seized is found to be legal, and you're legal about everything, you can't get seized material back, and you're out tons of cash for legal fees.  It's almost as if criminals are rewarded for doing things illegally.

That being said, one way that you won't have to get onto a government watchlist is by making stuff yourself.  If you're a competent chemist, there's a tremendous amount of material you can make yourself (I'm not talking illegal stuff, just normal chemicals).  Especially inorganic compounds can be easy to produce.  Get a copy of an old CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.  They're great for solubilities.

The nitric acid is actually something that I wouldn't try and get until you needed it.  For one, it tends to degrade over time, and for another, it IS a highly watched chemical since it's used to make explosives.

Lab glassware can be come by on e-bay pretty cheap, actually, unless it can be used in the drug/alcohol making industry (stills, etc.), in which case it's expensive.  Go to ebay and use the keywords: lab glass.  You should have a lot of hits.  If you need something very custom, you can also contact a scientific glassblower.  Whereas chemical companies generally won't sell to individuals, scientific glassblowers generally do.  You will be paying standard fare for some equipment, but you can get exactly what you want, and even get custom or specialized pieces of glassware.

Best of luck with things in Canada.  I'm in Kalifornia, so I'm almost in the same boat.

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 04:22:11 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, that really helped. Hopefully I won't blow my head off. ;)
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 05:08:07 AM »
Alright, here is my plan.

I'm moving out of Toronto with my family sometime this summer, and I would like to start my own lab. I'd build a shack at a safe distance from the house (hehehe), and start in there. Now, as you might have guessed, I need to get apparatus, chemicals, and such. I've already got a meager collection of chemicals and a little apparatus. I therefore need a supplier who ships to individuals in Canada. Please help me.

Oh, and here is a complete list of what I have:

Chemicals:
-calcium hydroxide
-copper sulfate
-cobalt chloride mixture (25 percent CoCl2, & 75 percent NaCl)
-guar gum
-activated charcoal
-eriochrome black T (EBT)
-iron filings
-sodium carbonate
-ferric ammonium sulfate
-sodium hydrogen sulfate
-magnesium sulfate
-sulfuric acid
-methyl orange
-ion echange resin
-aluminum sulfate
-borax

Apparatus:
-3 test tubes
-2 100Ml flasks
-1 250Ml flask
-1 graduated 10Ml cylinder

Other Accessories:
-plastic gloves
-goggles

That's it.

I have very good experience with raw chemical photography suppliers who sell to hobbyists. More than 50% of all of my chemicals, I ordered online from these companies. You are lucky that you are in Canada. The following Canadian supplier has a lot of chemicals, which are shipped to individuals.

As explained on the supplier's site, some chemicals on the list are really hazardous and for these you need to explain what your intended use is, but the majority of chemicals on the list can be ordered without problems.

www.jdphotochem.com

There are more of such suppliers in the US and in Europe, but if I look at the list of chems you have now and at the list of JD Photochem, then you can do with that supplier for the time to come.

Another interesting source of chemicals may be ceramics and pottery suppliers. I have no address of these in Canada (I buy that stuff locally in the Netherlands), but I'm quite sure that an Internet search gives you some addresses. From pottery suppliers I purchased compounds like nickel carbonate, copper carbonate, cobalt sulfate, cobalt carbonate, vanadium pentoxide, potassium dichromate. These suppliers are interesting, because they have many transition metal compounds, which are very interesting to play with due to their colors and numerous complexes. Be, however, warned, that many transition metal salts are toxic (dichromates are believed to be carcinogens), so be careful and keep yourself, the environment, and your family happy.

PS: I have no other connection with JD Photochem than being a satisfied customer.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 04:23:09 PM »
Thanks woelen. :)
Pierre.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 05:36:18 PM »
One thing all you guys failed to mention is GOOD ventilation. Even though most of what you'll probably work with is non toxic it's better safe than sorry. Something like one of those stove hoods (the big vents over stoves) would be nice. Or you can just put alittle skylight/hole and a fan. A bunsen burner would be nice also. Most of the recipes I know of require heat. My kitchen stove (gas range) is bad for controling heat. Bunsen burner seam to be nice.

P.S. Many times it is posted on this site and like hmx9123 said you shouldn't bother with nitric acid. It is dangerous and will raise red flags where ever it is bought. Though it can be synthesised from a certain something, I wouldn't bother.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 05:59:42 PM »
Ebay is a fantastic place to pick up odd, and ofttimes restricted chemicals, it can get REALLY cheap too, I just ordered myself a gallon drum of benzyl alcohol for oxidation to benzaldehyde.

The benzaldehyde itself, I have seen go for £70 a liter, but the benzyl alcohol, I picked up for the dollar equivalent of £2.50 ;D , and once oxidised, that will produce enough benzaldehyde to last me for a DAMN long time :)

Mmm...the sweet pistacio scent of success ;D
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 05:47:31 PM »
Thanks again. I forgot about the ventilation. Where can I buy bunsen burners?

Pierre
Pierre.

Sponsored Links