March 28, 2024, 07:21:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anyone done the DAAD Rise program?  (Read 34722 times)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Anyone done the DAAD Rise program?
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
http://www.daad.de/rise/en/

Most likely doing it in a little beyond a year, but I'd be interested in what anyone who has participated in it thinks of it.

Thanks  :)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Anyone done the DAAD Rise program?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:06:51 PM »
Looks good. I did a summer REU as an undergraduate as well.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Gregorian

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 07:07:21 PM »
I'm doing it this summer! I will let you know when I come back
in everything God works for the good of those who love him
-Rom 8:28

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
Thank you :)  Hope you have a good time.

Offline mmavros

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 08:12:13 AM »
I did the RISE program this past summer.  Friday is the last day of my internship.  It's a really cool way to get to experience Germany while at the same time working on a project that is extremely interesting to you (you will definitely find something--they have over 500 projects to choose from!).  I will be getting published for my work this summer, but I've been told it's not the norm; however, it's still a distinct possibility.  The RISE program itself is new (this year was its 5th year) but definitely getting up there in prestige--a lot of professors and students alike know about it and are definitely all for it, as international exchange programs are a hot thing nowadays. 

The program itself is run by 5 people out of a small office in Bonn, Germany, so it can be quite disorganized at times, but this it understandable--after all, it's 5 people in charge of 350+ scholars!  Keep in mind that the intent of the program is to get as many Americans, Canadians, and Britons to Germany as possible, in order to advertise Germany's scientific and cultural aspects to the English-speaking community worldwide.  The intent of the program by the DAAD is to give a bunch of Americans a 2-3 month internship in Germany with hopes that you will want to return and do a PhD or a postdoc there after you graduate.

Assuming you are eligible, the American Chemical Society co-sponsors an NSF REU offered through the RISE program.  I would definitely look into that (google: ACS NSF-IREU). You apply through RISE, and if you're good enough the ACS sends you an e-mail asking you to apply for their program.  I was accepted to that this year, so in addition to the RISE experience, I've also gotten a few added benefits, the greatest being a free round-trip overseas flight (the one thing that DAAD RISE does not pay for with the scholarship, but ACS does) and the chance to present at the ACS national conference in DC two weeks from now. If you're thinking about doing RISE, this is a great opportunity to add on top of that.

Above all, it is a great way to network with other chemists, both American and German.  I have met some other chemistry students who I hope that I will stay in close contact with upon returning to America, as I've developed some pretty lasting friendships with them this summer.  And hey, who can say no to networking?  Overall, if you're looking for an international chemistry experience, DAAD RISE is one of the best ways to do it--they select so many students that if you apply with decent credentials you will most likely get a grant, and despite their disorganization they are very welcoming, as they really do want to show of the best of Germany to you.  They even give you a 5-day German rail pass with hopes that you'll use it on a free weekend to explore Germany and take back some of its rich culture with you.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »
Thank you for all the wonderful information!  You got me very excited!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gregorian

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »
Hi,

I have nothing to add to what mmavros said but telling you that even if you don't get the ACS scholarship .. your institute will still pay you 650 euroes a month.

This experience will be unforgettable.. You will learn a lot, make new friends in your field of study and get to have contacts in case you plan on doing your graduate studies in Germany... Universities there are free for everyone. I never thought I will love Germany as much as I do now after living there for 2 months. I would def. encourage you to apply.

Oh and if you are a graduate student.. then they have RISE-pro in which you work for companies.. check it out on their website.

Wish you the best of luck
in everything God works for the good of those who love him
-Rom 8:28

Offline Grundalizer

• Mole Snacks: +19/-31
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 03:57:40 PM »
Wo awesome I found this.  Congrats on getting accepted into the program, I think its only about a 25-30% acceptance rate based on # of applicants from last year.  I applied last year but didn't get accepted (I sent it 2 days before the deadline and was missing some info) so I am trying again this year.  I've been wanting to go to Germany for years, already went to Munich once and have taken German for 4 years.  I want to move there someday and live there after I finish grad school here (or maybe there). 

Did you apply for a project that interested you, or one you thought you could get into given that it wasn't from a big city.
Also, this year they said they don't need official transcripts, so I can see people making s#*$ up, and since you are ranked by your GPA that could be dangerous.

I'm also going to apply to the REU from the NSF just in case I don't get accepted to Germany.  How many REU sites did you apply to?  You apply directly to the colleges right?

to mmavros, I've never heard that ACS gives you any money for the RISE program?  I only thought the ACS scholarship was for minorities.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »
Yes.
Hard to describe the level of amazing.
The group I joined for PhD studies was the one I met via DAAD RISE.

Offline Grundalizer

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 04:16:36 PM »
Where are you from?  You said you ended up going to do your phD with the same group you did your RISE summer with?

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »
Moving to Germany in only a handful of days.

Offline Grundalizer

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »
ahhh so lucky!! You are living my dream.  I just sent an email to the DAAD Rise.  This year its all online application, and you don't need an official transcript.  But since you are ranked by GPA, i can see people just making things up and changing their grades.

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 04:32:01 PM »
That is pretty dumb. (re: no more official transcripts)

But if I remember correctly, my application package was rather large.  They likely wanted to cut down on the amount of paperwork.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
Congrats on getting accepted into the program

Just in case this was at me, I haven't been accepted.  I'm choosing programs primarily (and unfortunately) based on duration, as my family is attempting to have one last big get together while my grandparents are still around this summer (who live across the country from me).  Other than that, my PI at my home university is also a professor at two German universities, which I also need to factor in to my selections.  Waiting to hear back from him currently, before actually submitting an application.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:12:50 PM »
Applying to 3 students in the same group in Heidelberg this Friday!  Wish me luck!

Sponsored Links