March 28, 2024, 12:26:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What additives may be used to prevent acid catalysed hydrolysis of drugs?  (Read 11757 times)

Offline derek0o0

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What additives may be used to prevent acid catalysed hydrolysis of drugs containing ester moieties in drug formulations?
thx

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
I don't know of specific reagent meant to shield functional groups on specific medicines.  But, if acid of any type, can react with something, do you have a general idea of the classes of compounds that would be used to provide protection?  As well, can you find out what common excipients are used in medical formulations?  A quick check of any medicine bottle, prescription or over-the -counter, will give you a big hint.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline derek0o0

I don't know of specific reagent meant to shield functional groups on specific medicines.  But, if acid of any type, can react with something, do you have a general idea of the classes of compounds that would be used to provide protection?  As well, can you find out what common excipients are used in medical formulations?  A quick check of any medicine bottle, prescription or over-the -counter, will give you a big hint.
i found out some common excipients are cornstarch, lactose, talc, magnesium stearate, sucrose, gelatin, calcium stearate, silicon dioxide, shellac and glaze...
but how can i know which one of them can be used to prevent the hydrolysis of drugs?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
Well, you're confused because you've missed one.  Many pills use calcium and magnesium carbonates, when mixed in the pill with calcium and magnesium stearates (which are also molding lubricants,) they form a pH buffer.  And that's how you shield just about anything from acid, right?

Offline derek0o0

Well, you're confused because you've missed one.  Many pills use calcium and magnesium carbonates, when mixed in the pill with calcium and magnesium stearates (which are also molding lubricants,) they form a pH buffer.  And that's how you shield just about anything from acid, right?
o rite..so i can say the additives will be calcium and magnesium carbonates, and calcium and magnesium stearates?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
A good summary.  I don't know of other reagents that inhibit acid cleavage of esters, but whatever you can think of, you'll have to be sure they're safe to consume.

Sponsored Links