March 29, 2024, 01:43:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: F- weaker base than OH- why  (Read 19329 times)

Offline timchai

• Mole Snacks: +0/-7
F- weaker base than OH- why
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:45:33 AM »
ans said .A Bronsted-Lowry base is a proton acceptor.
H2O does not self ionize appreciably, while HF does.
OH- can thus accept a proton better than F-, and hence OH- is a
stronger Bronsted-Lowry base than

but i want to ask why . i think the ans is not correct, i think the ans is OH- more stronger than F- , bcoz of electronegativity , so tendency of accept electrons greater

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
Re: F- weaker base than OH- why
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »
ans said .A Bronsted-Lowry base is a proton acceptor.
H2O does not self ionize appreciably, while HF does.
OH- can thus accept a proton better than F-, and hence OH- is a
stronger Bronsted-Lowry base than

but i want to ask why . i think the ans is not correct, i think the ans is OH- more stronger than F- , bcoz of electronegativity , so tendency of accept electrons greater
In case, it would be the tendency to "give" electrons (to form a covalent bond) which is greater for OH-. However the first explanation is actually better: you have to compare the equilibrium reactions:

OH- + H2O <-->   H2O + OH-

F- + H2O  <-->   HF + OH-

The first reaction has the greater equilibrium constant in water solution and at room T and it's for this reason that OH- is a stronger base than F-

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »
BluRay's equilibrium description is correct but I'll add some qualitative explanation.

Bronsted-Lowry basicity is the tendency of a molecule to accept a proton, not an electron.  It's 100% true that F- is a weaker base than OH- because of electronegativity. 

Having a negative charge is destabilizing, but a more electronegative atom is destabilized less by having a negative charge.  In other words, a more electronegative atom is "happier" with a negative charge.  With neutral bases there is simply an electron pair but the same logic applies.

Acquiring a proton means a base no longer has full possession of an electron pair.  More electronegative atoms will be less likely to do this because they are relatively stable with a lone pair and/or negative charge.

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »
It's 100% true that F- is a weaker base than OH- because of electronegativity. 
Then why I- (for example) is not a stronger base than F- or than OH- in water solution? Iodine is less electronegative than Fluorine or Oxygen.

Sponsored Links