April 18, 2024, 04:25:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What do i need?  (Read 7777 times)

john.griffiths1

What do i need?
« on: May 15, 2005, 08:57:21 PM »
I am looking for a product with the following properties:
  • Waterproof
  • Non-soluble
  • See through
  • Non-conductive
  • Non-toxic
  • Non-corrosive
The scenario? To place a computer motherboard in a fish tank. If you would be so kind as to supply any suggestions with as many of the properties as you can, I would be very grateful. For more details on my project, please read this thread: http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?p=85542#post85538
Thanks in advance!

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:What do i need?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 10:06:25 PM »
Reading through your other thread, it would be VERY difficult to accomplish your goal as even if you found a way to completely cover everything with a see through, non-soluble film, you'd then have to deal with trying to cool the components of the system.  The CPU, Motherboard, RAM, etc. all need to have a constant airflow around them in order to prevent overheating.  If they overheat, they die.  By putting a tight fitting substance around the entire board, you would effectively insulate the components which would be very, very bad for their functionality.  (Also, it's damned near impossible to find an eletrically non-conductive, yet thermally conductive material.  In fact, I don't think a transparent one exists).  

So sadly, I do not think there is a substance that would meet your specifications.  The only thing I can think of is sealing the motherboard inside of a polycarbonate plastic box with a silicone caulking going around any place that a wire has to enter or exit the system.  However, that still wouldn't take care of the thermal problem.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 07:50:23 AM »
i recall of a similar project. its aim was to use water as a coolant, instead of placing the mobo in a fish tank (quite pointless if u ask me)

here's something that may interest you: http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=watercooled
one learns best by teaching

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:38:35 AM »
that is so funny.. pouring water on the HDD platter to cool it down. ROFL..

unless you decide to install an air condition system inside your computer. using a suitable refrigerant, you could find yourself installing a cheap mod to maintain your PC temperature below 10C.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

corey2

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:50:29 AM »
why don't you fill your fish tank with silicone oil ? Then put in your MB !
It fulfills the following request:
    * See through
    * Non-conductive
    * Non-toxic
    * Non-corrosive

It might be used as coolant too ! Just add an aquarium pump with thermometer.
 :)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »
Try making an acrylic box. Not quite what your after but you build vents out of the tank. Just make sure you build you box very good an water tight.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 07:23:03 PM »
obviously, we can't be directly immensing the computer components in water. i saw the oil setup in computerforums.com. we know that isnt feasible because fish can't swim in oil. unless you use the fishing lures instead of real fish. convection current setup in the oil when the computer is on will make the fish move (thus mimicking real life).

i have an alternative proposal thou. how about modifying a fish tank, so that it have a cavity for you to house a small form factor CPU.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 05:51:50 AM »
Are we trying to submerge the components of a PC in water to cool the system and at the same time restrict the effects of water on the electrical function? I am not sure of your goal.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 05:53:28 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 02:08:37 PM »
I agree with the box in a box theory.  You can either use glass, poly methylmethacrylate or polycarbonate (the plastics are machinable).  Make sure the sides are reasonably thin (to promote heat transfer and to minimize optical effects) and there is an inlet and an outlet to hook up a small fan for airflow (will need plastic tubing) and the wires.  The only problem I see is whether it looks "authentic" (i.e. actually submerged).  

Sponsored Links