April 25, 2024, 08:02:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Homogenized oil and iron.  (Read 6189 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Homogenized oil and iron.
« on: May 17, 2005, 08:27:35 PM »
I was watching the science channel, and I saw a clip of oil and iron that had been homogenized. An electromagnet was put on top of it appeared that the oil was flowing upwards and it formed and intresting stucture on the magnet. How would I be able to homogenize iron and oil in my home.

Should I just throw it in a blender and mix like crazy? Or is there another way? Could I just mix iron filings and oil together to get the same effect?

I would love to recreate this experiment because it looked so cool on TV. Suggestions, ideas, and help is much appreciated. Thanks.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:Homogenized oil and iron.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 10:30:44 PM »
I think it would be recreatable in the home.

You could try preparing pyrophoric iron, it is iron metal powder, in so fine a particle size, and prepared in a certain way, that upon exposure to air, the particles are so tiny, that they instantly ignite due to oxidation.

Pyrophoric iron can be prepared by heating iron tartrate, I believe, which decomposes, and forms the pyrophoric powder, this of course, is best done under argon or nitrogen gas. Argon is available in disposable cylinders from online welding shops, or alternatively, and if you have the requisite safety equipment, perhaps a hydrocarbon gas could be used to shield the decomposition of the iron tartrate from oxygen, and thence, the iron dust transferred directly into the oil.

Hmmm, I wonder, if such a product might still be pyrophoric to a very minor degree, and produce small sparks when magnetically hardened..

I have to try this myself, as soon as I can get ahold of some tartaric acid :)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 05:32:12 AM »
I would think that iron filings would be sufficient. There is no need to go extensive preparations. Just use iron filings and vegetable oil. Read the URL posted by me above or the whole site http://scitoys.com and you might find lots of interesting stuff. It is probably better to learn than go extravagant.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 06:14:54 PM »
Just want to test it out for fun. Thanks for the help. I don't think I need to have a homogenized solution. Homogenized is kind of a strong word.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 06:16:13 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links