April 25, 2024, 01:15:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electroplating Copper  (Read 3100 times)

Offline youllbejustfine

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electroplating Copper
« on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »
Hi- I am doing an experiment that involves electroplating a large amount of Copper (from multiple pennies) onto Steel wool in a solution of acetic acid, salt, and sugar. 5V are being used.

The pennies are to be able to be entered into the system at any point- what I mean is, people can add pennies to the electroplating process (it's part of an exhibit). I can't be clipping each penny with an alligator clip because I won't always be around, so I have been experimenting with different types of metal "bowls" to act as the anode material, and catch the pennies so that the + charge can be applied to multiple pennies at the same time.

However, all the metals that I have tried (Al, Zn, Ni, Steel) have seemed to disintegrate, contaminating the solution and eventually corroding enough to drop the pennies.

Is there a metal that is less reactive than Copper that will not dissolve (or will dissolve much more slowly) in my solution of acetic acid?

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
Re: Electroplating Copper
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
Firstly, pennies are Cu plated Zn.  Older ones may be pure Cu, but check with a nuismatic reference. It varies from country to country
Cu wire is usually easier to use and you can shape them into many electrode shapes.

Metal suggestions: Pt, Au, Ti perhaps, or graphite. (with glassy carbon being preferental to graphite)

Or just use copper wire to save hassle and expense.

Sponsored Links