April 20, 2024, 06:14:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How feasible is it to teach oneself the subject?  (Read 3485 times)

Offline jmbky1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How feasible is it to teach oneself the subject?
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
I've taken and done very well in physics and all other branches of chemistry. My undergraduate degree was not in chemistry specifically, so I never was able to take physical chemistry (mostly due to time and money).

Anyways, I will begin working on my PhD in the fall in biochemistry. I feel like I sort of cheated the system by getting into a doctoral program without having to take p-chem, especially since I have such a strong interest in it based on my love of both physics courses I took.

So based on all of this, I want to purchase a textbook with solutions manual and dedicate this summer to teaching myself physical chemistry.

I know this won't be easy, but does anyone have any advice for me? Also, any recommendations for a great textbook? So far, I'm leaning toward A Molecular Approach by McQuarrie and Simon, but does anyone have a better suggestion?

Offline Loyal

• Mole Snacks: +7/-5
Re: How feasible is it to teach oneself the subject?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 05:36:09 PM »
The classical physics portion of P-Chem such as Thermodynamics is generally a rehash of things you may have done in physics and chemistry before.    The quantum mechanical portion of it is a whole new ball game. 

So you may be able to learn the more classical portions just fine, but after that it could be very tough to learn on your own.
Chemistry Student(Senior) at WSU

Sponsored Links