March 28, 2024, 06:52:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extraction of Rose Oil  (Read 12548 times)

Offline Digitalcraze

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Extraction of Rose Oil
« on: April 24, 2009, 10:00:54 AM »
I am unsure if this forum is the appropriate one for this question so please let me know if it isn't.

I am wanting to extract the oil from roses. I know that there are two basic methods, steam distillation and solvent extraction.  Being that the yields from roses is something like 1:1500 I think that solvent extraction would be the best method for someone like me who is dealing with very small amounts of rose material.  (I make home made soap and want to make use of my roses that usually end up in the garbage). 

Also, since my bushes don't usually have many flowers at once I usually dry the roses and store them until i have a decent amount.  Is it still possible to do a solvent extraction on dry flower petals? Or must I use fresh material?

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer.

~DC

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Extraction of Rose Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »
Step 1. Go to store
Step 2. Buy rose water
Step 3. Enjoy, in fact, buy several, and in addition to adding to your soap, make some Turkish delight, or some baklava.

Seriously.  I know you want to gain something from what grows in your garden, free of charge.  But what you want to do, for the possible yield, is not very worthwhile.   If you want to setup a home brew steam distillation rig, to make your own rose water, you may be able to find info and supplies on the web. 

But the traditional extraction solvent for attar of roses from rose petals is benzene.  I know.  I looked it up as a teenager, and even bought it at the hardware store.  And I tried it.  In my parent's home.  And that was very stupid of me.   Benzene is very hazardous, they don't even sell it at the hardware store, anymore.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Digitalcraze

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
I appreciate the comment. I am not very concerned with yield.  I just like doing extractions and distillations and things of that nature.  I love science & chemistry and like to do it as a hobby.  I do solvent extractions of limonene from the orange peel of my oranges.  I don't mind the extra or hard work involved, I actually enjoy it.  Its just hard to find ideas of things to do as a hobby chemist, so I find little things like extracing limonene from oranges, or caffeine from tea.  I guess I will just toy around with the roses and find something that works.

On that note... Are there any good resources for ideas of chemistry projects to do at home?  Things that don't involve any illegal chemicals or anything that could be construed as illegal.  Or is that too hard of a thing to ask for in this day and age?

~DC
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:29:13 PM by Arkcon »

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:58:07 PM »
Wow the experiments on that website would put off many interested in experimental chemistry...

If you want to extract something from roses, just try a non-carcinogenic solvent like acetone or ethanol.  Get a flask, add your rose pieces, and let soak in solvent for a while.  Then filter and evaporate the solvent outside and see how it works.

Some interesting experiments are here http://81.207.88.128/science/chem/exps/index.html

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
yeah... I guess they are aimed a bit at kids, aren't they?  The experiments on the other site are significantly cooler, but I don't know how many of those chemicals are available around the house
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Wide.fan

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:57:40 AM »
why don't you add rose pieces into you soap directly ?
That's much easier ;D

Sponsored Links