March 29, 2024, 09:49:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PHD or MS while working  (Read 6732 times)

Offline harkkam

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
PHD or MS while working
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:42:37 AM »
Are there any companies out there that will let you work with a Bachelors in Chemistry and work toward your masters at the same time or even a PHD?

Offline StarvinMarvin

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +5/-6
Re: PHD or MS while working
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »
I think it depends on the country, university and paritcular company. As far as I know, part-time Ph.D or M.S. are paid so maybe it's worth to consider fully-dunded Ph.D. instead?

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »
I did my MSc (analytical chemistry) on a part-time basis. It will be dependent on the company and if local Universities offer part-time courses.  Non-R&D companies may let you do the BSC and possibly a MSc but may not wish to fund a PHd.

Also, as this continuing education represents a significant financial outlay by the company you may have to put in a number of years of service before eligibility or commit to a duration of employment following graduation (or be required to repay the costs)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 05:19:06 AM »
Generally, in the U.S. the best company to work for and study for a PhD is a university. Many universities give their graduate students in the physical sciences a stipend while they perform research and/or act as a teacher's assistant.  You really need to do a lot of searching to find a similar arrangement in industry, but some do exist.

Sponsored Links