March 28, 2024, 02:48:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: syn/anti nomenclature and tautomerization  (Read 7303 times)

Offline vivekfan

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
syn/anti nomenclature and tautomerization
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
Firstly, what is the syn/anti nomenclature and when is it used?

Secondly, what is tautomerization and a tautomer?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: syn/anti nomenclature and tautomerization
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:45:56 PM »
Thirdly, have you read forum rules? Definitions can be found by 15 seconds googling. We can help you understand them once you will read them, but nobody is going to do the legwork for you.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline vivekfan

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:10:14 PM »
Thirdly, have you read forum rules? Definitions can be found by 15 seconds googling. We can help you understand them once you will read them, but nobody is going to do the legwork for you.

I'm sorry..I have read the definitions, but often need help clarifying.  Also, I do my work very thoroughly, i just sometimes want to make sure that my understanding is correct, that's all. Next time, I'll try to be more specific about questions.

Offline CrimpJiggler

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:10:32 AM »
Sorry to be resurrecting this thread but I'm having a real hard time figuring out what syn and anti isomers are and stumbled upon this thread. I know about cis/trans and Z/E nomenclature for geometric isomers but I'm having trouble figuring out what syn and anti means.

My question: What is the difference between cis/trans and syn/anti nomenclature?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:21:46 AM by CrimpJiggler »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »
Sorry to be resurrecting this thread but I'm having a real hard time figuring out what syn and anti isomers are and stumbled upon this thread. I know about cis/trans and Z/E nomenclature for geometric isomers but I'm having trouble figuring out what syn and anti means.

My question: What is the difference between cis/trans and syn/anti nomenclature?

cis/trans usually refer to substituents around a multiple bond (can also be used in ring systems). syn/anti usually to substituents along a saturated chain or a ring system.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links