April 20, 2024, 07:54:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PH Balances & Mixing  (Read 4174 times)

Offline noelle1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
PH Balances & Mixing
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:07:53 AM »
Hello everyone,

I wondered if you could help.  I have spent some weeks trying to mix a homemade skin brightening cream (to save me having to buy expensive items online and risk being ripped off - I am also abit paranoid of what other things could go in such creams) and I came across a material called arbutin. 

arbutin is naturally found in pear skins and bearberry and is apparently a good way of brightening the skin and helping to maintain a healthy glow.

I understand after research, that arbutin is soluable in water, and in alcohol - I have mixed it with dipropylene glycol and it dissolved, however this was at a very high temperature.  I also understand that arbutin is also unstable/breaks down in an acidic environment and apparently needs to be above 6.0 - so I am unsure as to whether dissolving the material at this temperature would have caused a problem with the solution.   

I also considered just mixing it with a little water, adding it to my normal hypoallergenic lotion which contains natural lipids, no perfume etc).

Is it right that the ph balance of water is 7, and if the ph is higher than this it is considered alkaline?  If I mixed the arbutin with alcohol (DPG) then is this a good idea because alcohol is classed as acidic? (learned this from healthy eating guides).

Sorry for all the questions, but your advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: PH Balances & Mixing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
Is it right that the ph balance of water is 7

Yes and no. Very pure water at 20 deg C have this pH. In reality pH of veyr pure water is usually lower, around 5.6-5.7, as it quickly gets saturated with atmospheric carbon dioxide.

and if the ph is higher than this it is considered alkaline?

Yes.

If I mixed the arbutin with alcohol (DPG) then is this a good idea because alcohol is classed as acidic?

You may safely assume alcohol solution to be neutral.

(learned this from healthy eating guides).

Crackpottery.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline noelle1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: PH Balances & Mixing
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 04:51:07 AM »
 :)

Thank you for your answers.  I also have some litmus papers on the way so Im sure they will aid me in the process.  Thanks again.

Sponsored Links