April 26, 2024, 04:25:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Conductometry  (Read 6694 times)

Offline orgoclear

• Mole Snacks: +9/-13
Conductometry
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:42:50 AM »
Hi people,

I have just started reading electrochemistry where I came upon Conductometric titrations and Kolrausch Law. Can anyone provide a link which contains the theory well explained?

Thx in advance

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: Conductometry
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:01:56 PM »
Can you give a little more information?

I think you are talking about coulometric titrations with conductivity end point determination. Can you confirm?  Thanks. 

Offline orgoclear

• Mole Snacks: +9/-13
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:51:58 AM »
yeah  I am talking about that

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »
Ok.

First, try googling Karl fisher.  Karl Fisher is a moisture test used when an easier test won't work.  The titrant chemically reacts with water.  By doing a titration, you can tell how much water is present.  Usually, a conductivity instrument is used as the detector.
When all the water has been reacted, the conductivity of the solution changes.  This identifies the end point.

Karl Fischer can be done a number of ways, including a normal titration.  However, when small amounts of water are present, titration can be difficult.  That is when the coulometric titration comes in.  An electrode is placed in an appropriate solution.  When current is passed through the solution, the electrolysis generates the titrant.  By knowing the amount of current, the time the current flows, and the stoichiometry of the reaction, you can figure the titrant amount.  From this and sample data, you can calculate the amount of water present.

As always, there are possible interferences.  The specific companies can tell you about that.

As far as conductivity detectors go, the are often used in the chemistry field.  You will often find them as detectors in Ion chromatography.  They usually show up on DI water systems, although they are frequently calibrated in the inverse of conductivity (resistivity).  And occasional instruments are used by themselves.  We used the individual instruments to detect residual detergents after a wash off with DI water.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sponsored Links