April 25, 2024, 11:20:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How difficult is it to get an A in O-chem?  (Read 6509 times)

Offline toadesque

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
How difficult is it to get an A in O-chem?
« on: June 27, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
I'm taking it in the fall and I'm quite worried about it. I wasn't great at Gen. Chem even though I recently just got an A in Gen Chem II. I know most will say "you'll get what you put into it" but there's an extent to that. If I study my ass off for this class does that really guarantee I'll get an A? Or is some of this class based on just your natural ability to understand organic chemistry? I want to start preparing this summer for the course because I really need to get an A.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: How difficult is it to get an A in O-chem?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:30:51 AM »
If you can't picture 3D images in your head, chances are you will have some troubles.  Other than that, it's honestly effort => output.  Bust it early on and do whatever you can to understand the CONCEPTS.  Unless you're some kind of freak of nature, you will not do well in organic if you try to memorize everything.  Resonance, conjugation, acid/base chemistry, etc.  Have it down pat.

Offline Squirmy

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:43:22 AM »
^^Agreed. Most sophomore organic courses build on a relatively small number of key concepts taught at the beginning of the first semester. Keep on top of it from the beginning. If you don't completely understand something, don't wait to get help. Go over your notes between classes and work problems as the topics are covered.

I believe the reason organic gets a bad rap is that students that usually get away with poor study habits like cramming a day or two before the exam suddenly find themselves struggling. If you establish a routine and don't let yourself get behind, it's not that bad...

but you still aren't guaranteed an A :)

Offline sammyjo06

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
^^Agreed. Most sophomore organic courses build on a relatively small number of key concepts taught at the beginning of the first semester. Keep on top of it from the beginning. If you don't completely understand something, don't wait to get help. Go over your notes between classes and work problems as the topics are covered.

I believe the reason organic gets a bad rap is that students that usually get away with poor study habits like cramming a day or two before the exam suddenly find themselves struggling. If you establish a routine and don't let yourself get behind, it's not that bad...

but you still aren't guaranteed an A :)

I'll add my own input. I am one of those students that usually gets away with an A by cramming the night before an exam.

This was a horrible mistake in organic chemistry. I got a C+ in ochem I and a C- in ochem II (that was curved from a 56%, too, to give you an idea of how poorly I did).

However, I am currently re-taking organic chemistry II (not a good idea to rely on this-- it is costing me $1800 plus parking in the city; more than half of what I will make this summer), and I've really stepped up my study habits. It's going to be extremely difficult for me to get an A, because I did not pick up all the skills I should have in ochem I, but it's never too late to get back on track. I got an 85% on the first exam, which I was happy with (the average was a 68%), and I have not yet gotten my second exam back, but I actually expect an A; I think I did really well on it. I may get an A overall in the course as well, since the instructor curves a bit at the end.

So especially if you are going to have to take ochem II, please do not do what I did. It was horrible, and I have made things much harder for myself in the long run, and not just in school (medical schools do not like to see Cs). Study hard, ask for help, do homework problems repeatedly (once is usually not enough), and you may get an A. If you get at least a B, though, that still looks good to med schools, because they know how difficult the course is. And you are definitely not out of the running if you get a C, but if you put the effort in, you should be able to get at least a B.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
Not everyone's a premed :P  (I happen to be, but I find it funny you're assuming he is)  Maybe you're just picking up on the neurotic vibe though  ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:07:45 PM by nj_bartel »

Offline toadesque

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
haha inclination was correct though, I am a bio major going for med school (i don't like to use the term "pre-med" though). I didn't do so well in Gen Chem I, got a C+, but I killed Gen Chem II and I'm hoping I can do really well in O-Chem to show med schools that I can handle tough courses. The worst part about my transcript though is the labs. My school has a really terrible system of grading labs so I got C's in both Gen Chem I+II lab. Do med schools really care about the lab portion that much though? It's a joke at a lot of schools and at others it's really tough to get an A so it seems a bit unfair.

Offline cyclotomamine

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 03:25:51 AM »
Similarly to sammyjo06, I did poorly in gen chem (B+ in gen chem 1 and B in gen chem 2), but I ended up doing great in orgo. I found it to be a very different form of chemistry, much in the same way calculus is a more global approach to math in comparison to algebra or geometry. As nj_bartel said, you definitely want to be able to visualize 3D models of molecules in your head, especially for stoichiometry (I recommend reading this chapter ahead of time). If you have difficulty, try a model kit; I never used one but I've heard they help some people. Just keep up with the mechanisms and you'll be fine. Don't procrastinate or put off any of the work because that has sealed the fates of all too many orgo students.

Sponsored Links