April 16, 2024, 07:00:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Odd question about Nicotine  (Read 4183 times)

Offline nowayhere

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Odd question about Nicotine
« on: July 09, 2009, 06:08:43 PM »
Hello!

I have a question, i dont know if it's suitable for this forum but i'd be happy if someone know the answer. Nicotine must have some chemical composition. This composition makes it irritate the throat when inhaled. Im quitting my habit of nicotine and would like to make a substitute that feels the same in the throat when inhaled. I use a vaporizer for inhaling vaporus from high quality pipe tobacco. Though when quitting now ive been trying to make a good substitute that feels the same. I have not found anything that might be a suitable substitute. Spearmint herb for example, feels like most of the other herbs, just smooth and none of that itchy burning sensention one gets from nicotine. So... whats so special bout nicotine, anyone have any idea? Im turning to this site because i think chemists can look at the nicotine molecule and get an idea on why it irritates the throat as it does, and suggest some other compound that have similar properties chemically, but dont posa an additctive or narcotic effect.

Best regards
Daniel

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Odd question about Nicotine
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Are you talking about inhaling nicotine (that will be the first time I hear about it) or about smoking (in which case it is several hundreds of smoke components that irritate the throat, not just nicotine)?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline nowayhere

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
Are you talking about inhaling nicotine (that will be the first time I hear about it) or about smoking (in which case it is several hundreds of smoke components that irritate the throat, not just nicotine)?

Well, im vaporizing it, heating the material to 190 degrees, far under combustion temperatures. The nicotine vaporizes in approx 150 celsius. Its a distinct irritating feeling of nicotine. I know that for sure because when inhaling pure nicotine from an inhaler, a tool for quitting smoking we can get on recipie in scandinavia, its very distinctive itchy irritating sence in the throat, so yes i think thats nicotine, and due to its chemical molecular constrution. Interresting would be to know more about nicotines molecular composition, if it relates to a certain kind of alcaloids or compounds.

Well well. Thanx for asking :)

Offline Atarijedi

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »
Electronic Cigarettes use propylene glycol and nicotine, you could mix up something similar and add some essential oils like jasmine or menthol or others of that type, they might give you that scratchy feeling.

Sponsored Links