April 26, 2024, 02:16:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Kinetics  (Read 4761 times)

Offline djiang87

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Kinetics
« on: August 17, 2009, 05:17:54 AM »
I just did a prac at uni which was titled 'kinetics of propanone iodination by titration'. I had to perform 5 different 'runs'. One was a reference and the other 4 i varied the value of propanone and sulfuric acid. Then i added some iodine in it. After i left the flask in a waterbath for 10 minutes i added more iodine into it. Then after adding some acetate i titrated the solution against sodium thiosulphate. Now i have to interpret my data that i got from this experiment which is a problem for me. I then calculated the conc of iodine in each flask from the titrations. However i need help with some of the questions:

For the eqn's [A]~[A]^0 - k't for a=0 and 1/[A]~1/[A]o+k't for a=2 i have to relate them to the relevant graph. Problem is wot types of graphs do these eqns go to? Im thinking the first one goes to a linear plot with negative slope? and im not too sure bout the 2nd one

wot species are involved in the rate determining step? This i have no clue at all

And finally given that there is an equilibrium between propanone and its enol and that halogens rapidly attatch carbon to carbon double bonds devise a plausible mechanism for the reaction? this im not too sure either

There are other questions but i think i got them. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Offline Johnny010

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
Re: Kinetics
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »
I am going to assume k' is a pseudo first order rate constant:

First ln[A]t=ln[A]0 - k't

Plot ln[A]t vs. t
This will give a negative slope with a gradient of -k'

Then using this value for the rxn rate (assuming this is a first order rxn):

ln k' = ln A - Ea/R * 1/T

Plot ln k' vs 1/T to get another negative sloped graph, with -Ea/R as the gradient.

From that you get Ea.

Look up Enolates for the mechanism:

The acidic H causes enolisation (the formation of a dbl bond adjacent to a hydroxyl carbon) C=C(OH).

The enolisation is highly in favour of the ketone so the enolate is the rate determining step/species of the reaction.

Although in a very low conc. (approx to the order of 1 in a million) it is a very reactive species: The iodine will add to the enol:

The OH group has a lone pair, which falls into the dbl bond, which then attacks one of the Iodine atoms of I2.
The resultant compound has a C=O+H group, which naturally falls to form a keto group again + H+.

Hope this helped.

An attempt at a mechanism (RDS=rate determining step):

C-C-C=O:  H+H2SO4 < - >R.D.S  C-C=C-O:H   I-I  (electrons from O go to dbl bond, electrons from dbl bond attack an I) -> C-C(Br)-C=O+H -> Product

Sponsored Links