March 29, 2024, 11:58:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: chemical to make paper transparent  (Read 13484 times)

Offline mystico

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
chemical to make paper transparent
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
Hi,

I'm new here, and I'm seeking something. Maybe the more experienced users can help me.

Is there any kind of chemical that when applied to paper will make it gradually transparent? Besides alcohol because it evaporates quickly.

I'm looking for a chemical that will leave no marks, stains, evidence etc on the paper. Any sugestions?

Thanks for the help guys.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: chemical to make paper transparent
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:37:25 PM »
This is very confusing
you want to make paper invisible
yet you do not want any marks on the paper
but if it is invisible why would you see marks'

do you mean transparent and instead of invisible

Offline amir

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:59:36 AM »
Hi,

I'm new here, and I'm seeking something. Maybe the more experienced users can help me.

Is there any kind of chemical that when applied to paper will make it gradually transparent? Besides alcohol because it evaporates quickly.

I'm looking for a chemical that will leave no marks, stains, evidence etc on the paper. Any sugestions?

Thanks for the help guys.
hi, i heared about nano technics that can pollish fibers and make transprant papers, see http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/87/i13/8713notw8.html

hope it'll be usefull
Amir

Offline mystico

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »
My idea is a chemical that once applied to paper makes it invisible for a few seconds, and then returns to it's original state. Just like applying alcohol. My issue with alcohol is that evaporates very quickly once exposed to air.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline kd.gns

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »
maybe try some oils, I think those tend to make paper transparent, but I'm not sure about the duration of the effect.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:42:58 PM »
I have not tested this but I think paper could turn very translucent with the application of alcohol or oil, but not transparent. I would guess that oils would be very hard to remove so as to return the paper to its normal state.

Offline Cultivator

• Mole Snacks: +0/-6
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »
I've seen transparrent paper that looks like polyethylene. In fact, it's a rolling paper. It burns like paper, its smoke smells like paper and it is only slightly sweet to taste but is water proof, not getting moist.

Now, this thing, I believe, is a natural cellulose, treated to order the fibers so that it gets an ordered "crystal" structure.

How it is done, I have no idea, but I think that it was known for hundreds of years because russians were using it for wrapping flowers in flower shops etc.

So... I assume that this polymer is made from cellulose short subunits by some technique.

Sponsored Links