March 28, 2024, 06:22:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: B.S. Chemistry Employment Suggestions  (Read 3714 times)

Offline chummy

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
B.S. Chemistry Employment Suggestions
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:14:49 PM »
Hello,

I'm graduating in the spring and would like to work for a year before going on to grad school.  Do you have any suggestions for interesting B.S. level jobs that don't include menial industrial appointments.  Some that I have found that seem interesting are research assistantships in research groups at universities as well as in government research laboratories.  I have a bit a research experience in organic synthesis and hopefully will have two publications accepted before I'm done.  I'm curious about obscure government/industry labs, international institutions, etc.  Is the competition as fierce as I think it is? 

Thanks.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Re: B.S. Chemistry Employment Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »
Govt. jobs always seem hard to get into.

Research assistantships last as long as the funding does. If you head down this route you may end up in a situation applying for a series of possibly "temporary" or fixed contract postions.

Consider looking at contract Research organisations. The work is high pressure, but the challenge of working for multiple employers vastly increases the variety of things you'll be exposed to and thus your experience level.  With that under your belt you may be in a better position to achieve your goals.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links