March 29, 2024, 10:44:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: is diamond a molecule  (Read 24635 times)

Offline jsmith613

• Mole Snacks: +4/-11
is diamond a molecule
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »
I know that a molecule consists of 1 or more atoms, but (this might sound like a stupid question), is diamond a molecule

My doubts come from here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_carbon_atoms_make_up_one_diamond_molecule

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: is diamond a molecule
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:18:42 PM »
I do not have an answer, but I like the question.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:34:02 AM »
A friend of mine - back in eighties - did his MS calculating (QM) how many atoms are necessary for a crystal to behave like crystal. Not that I remember anything else :-/
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:50:53 AM »
Well, diamond is a covalent crystal, so it's made up "only" (I use the quotes as perfect crystals are really rare and most of the crystals we get in touch with are actually full of imperfection, e.g. different atoms in the structure which sometimes give the compund a characteristic aspect, such as the color in some kinds of diamonds) of C atoms linked with covalent bonds.

So obviously we can think at it like a "giant molecule", even if it's more correct to consider it a crystal (also because we could only write Cn for its formula, as there are no fixed edeges for the atoms that can link together).
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Jules18

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »

I read somewhere that chemically it's almost exactly like graphite (in pencil "leads") but it's just structured a little differently and more densely. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »
I read somewhere that chemically it's almost exactly like graphite (in pencil "leads") but it's just structured a little differently and more densely.

It is almost as precise as if you have stated that notebook after being squeezed in hydraulic press doesn't change - its elements are just structured a little bit differently and more densely.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:33:55 PM »

Well, in graphite there are "plane surfaces" made up of carbon atoms linked together with Van der Waals forces, which allow us to easily break those bonds and write with a pencil  ;D
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Arctic-Nation

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-9
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »
Though you might not always be able to write with a pencil, you'll always be able to scratch your message with a diamond-tipped pen. ;)

Offline kunjal8015

• Mole Snacks: +2/-6
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 02:50:20 PM »
Diamonds is not a molecule, it's a covalent network of carbonds arranged in a way that allows the diamond to form it's properties

so is graphite, graphite is also covalent network but the carbon atoms in graphite are arranged differently.

http://www.avogadro.co.uk/structure/chemstruc/network/g-molecular.htm

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »
@kunjal8015

So according to your definition is H2 a molecule
Can you compare and contrast this with a diamond

Offline Ida Isotope

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
I would consider it a molecule. If you are going more in depth you can most likely call it something else but it is a molecule.

Wouldn't the basic definition of molecule be ..2 or more atoms?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 04:20:55 AM »
@Ida Isotope -

What is a mixture?

Offline stevet

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »
I know from Materials chemistry that diamond is classified as a covalent solid, something similar to a form of phosphorus (i cant remember which one). I guess the arguments in this thread depends on what the accepted definitions of a molecule, mixture etc are...but a the end of the day, that is more philosophical, and really, of no importance, as long as we know what is actually going on inside the diamond, or any other structure for that matter.  ;)

But since we are on the topic of diamonds...a question...if diamond consists of a network of tetrahedral carbon atoms bonded to 4 other tetrahedral carbon atoms, what is happening at the surface of a diamond crystal? Just something I have pondered before... ???

Steve

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 09:31:18 PM »
but a the end of the day, that is more philosophical, and really, of no importance,

Philosophically speaking I would tend to disagree

;D

For instance when we do calculations involving hydrogen there are times we have to look at it as H2 rather than H

Offline Ida Isotope

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:17:23 AM »
@Ida Isotope -

What is a mixture?

It is when 2 or more different subjects are "mixed" or combined. Not mixed chemically though.

Sponsored Links