April 24, 2024, 03:32:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: is diamond a molecule  (Read 24763 times)

Offline jsmith613

• Mole Snacks: +4/-11
Re: is diamond a molecule
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »

I would consider it a molecule. If you are going more in depth you can most likely call it something else but it is a molecule.

Wouldn't the basic definition of molecule be ..2 or more atoms?

Yes that is what a molecule is, but i just never though of diamond as being a molecule, and as you say at surface level it is, but what is it a little deeper than that?

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Is graphite a molecule also?

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »
I don't think so... it's composed of layers of graphene and if we ask ourselves if graphene is or not a molecule I think there's the same "philosophical" (;D) problem encountered with diamond...
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »
Won't diamond be classified as a crystal because it contains a unit cell in its structure? I know many inorganic solids that have unit cells such as sodium chloride are not considered molecules while other compounds that lack unit cells such as H2 are considered molecules. It is an interesting question, and it makes me wonder where the lines are officially drawn between the different types.

I guess the arguments in this thread depends on what the accepted definitions of a molecule, mixture etc are

Yeah, that's at the core of the issue I think. Nature just is how she is; we're the ones constantly getting frustrated trying to describe her.

Offline ZuraKotaro

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 12:32:26 AM »
Apparently someone's missing something, yes, graphite and diamond are both carbon-bonded compounds, but the two differ in the type of bonding. Graphite bonds extends in a linear (or 2D) direction, the final structure is made up of layers upon layers of graphene (as MrTeo have pointed out) that rub off of eachother when you write with a pencil. Because paper is made up of cellulose, it binds to the layers of graphene tighter than the layers of graphene bind to each other.

Now, back to diamonds. I would say that a diamond might be a molecule, depends on how closely you want to look. If we consider "pure" diamond, as in absolutly pure, all carbon, no metal ligand (metal ions) of any kind trapped inside the crystal formation, then yes, the diamond is just one gigantic molecule. Unfortunately, most diamonds are not pure, stuff gets trapped inside, in more extreme cases, they actually change the colour of the diamond (such as the Hope Diamond, it has too much boron inside it, or chocolate diamonds, which has too much nickel). In most cases, you could say that a diamond is a mixture, though the carbon crystal structure that holds the entire thing together could be considered as one molecule.

One more thing, the tetrahedral carbon-carbon structure, although very rigid, is also a bit unstable. Remember that diamonds are formed under intense heat and pressure (so the notebook under the press idea, no; notebook under the press in an oven might work though), but on the earth's surface you don't have these conditions, so the diamond structure is shifting back to its original form, graphite, abide extremely slowly, though the process is spontaneous (i.e. exothermic, will happen without outside interference). I once did a calculation on the decomposition of diamond :rarrow: graphite, it turned out that for one gram of diamond to fully decompose into one gram of graphite, in completely isolated condition, takes around 2.4 billion years and gives off 4.7J of energy in heat, so yea, don't have to worry about waking up one day to find your wedding ring had turned into pencil lead.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 01:26:44 AM »
A friend of mine - back in eighties - did his MS calculating (QM) how many atoms are necessary for a crystal to behave like crystal. Not that I remember anything else :-/
Crystallographers think about crystals if it show at least 3x3x3 ordered unit cells.
AWK

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 05:13:09 AM »
I think the problem here is more semantics than chemistry. A diamond can be considered a single molecule (an electrically neutral group of two or more atoms held together by covalent chemical bonds), but has properties of a crystal (repeating pattern extending in all three spatial dimensions).

But those are just words which do not completely describe what diamond is. Is it both molecule and crystal at same time or should it be called something else, a covalent solid, a covalent crystal, a diamond...

It's like asking is neutron star a single atom?
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
Diamond is a polymer, a very large molecule made up of repeating subunits. A single diamond could in fact be all one molecule, just like a single bead of polyethylene could be all one molecule. It is not, strictly speaking, a crystal, because a crystal contains multiple molecules, atoms, or ions in a repeating, ordered array.

Graphite is also a polymer, but the graphene structure forms two dimensional sheets rather than three dimensional lattices. Each layer of graphite can be a single molecule, but a chunk of graphite large enough to examine would have an enormous number of layers, each one atom thick, of graphene "molecules". A chunk of diamond large enough to examine, if it was completely pure, could still be a single molecule, since diamond has a three dimensional structure.

Polyethylene, the third polymeric form of carbon, is a linear structure. Since the structure is not rigid, like graphite or diamond, a bead of polyethylene containing a single molecule would be very much like a ball of string. Or rather, a tangle of string containing a single thread, since balls of string are usually much more ordered.

Offline Matt.-.101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 12:59:26 PM »
This is all thanks to Carbon being such an annoying element, with annoying, chain forming, covalent bonding, life making properties.

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »

Polyethylene, the third polymeric form of carbon, is a linear structure. Since the structure is not rigid, like graphite or diamond, a bead of polyethylene containing a single molecule would be very much like a ball of string. Or rather, a tangle of string containing a single thread, since balls of string are usually much more ordered.

I don't understand?  Polyethylene has hydrogen, how is it the third polymeric form of carbon?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 08:23:52 AM »
All of the polymeric forms of carbon (diamond, graphite, and polyethylene) have hydrogen attached to carbon at any site on carbon which does not already have a carbon-carbon bond. On diamond, this occurs on the perimeter of the solid, on graphene it appears on the edges of each sheet.

Actually, to completely fill out the model, conjugated polyalkenes (polyacetylene) and polyalkynes would also have to be included as single-molecule polymers of carbon, although these are far less stable than the three previously mentioned.

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
I know that a molecule consists of 1 or more atoms, but (this might sound like a stupid question), is diamond a molecule

My doubts come from here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_carbon_atoms_make_up_one_diamond_molecule

According to IUPAC a molecule is defined as

An electrically neutral entity consisting of more than one atom (n > 1). Rigorously, a molecule, in which n > 1 must correspond to a depression on the potential energy surface that is deep enough to confine at least one vibrational state.

This definition is satisfied by diamond, therefore it is a molecule. More concretely diamond is often considered a typical example of (inorganic) macromolecule:

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/applychem/macromolecule.html
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
All of the polymeric forms of carbon (diamond, graphite, and polyethylene) have hydrogen attached to carbon at any site on carbon which does not already have a carbon-carbon bond. On diamond, this occurs on the perimeter of the solid, on graphene it appears on the edges of each sheet.

Actually, to completely fill out the model, conjugated polyalkenes (polyacetylene) and polyalkynes would also have to be included as single-molecule polymers of carbon, although these are far less stable than the three previously mentioned.

I though that diamond and graphite and amorphous carbon were allotropes.
polyethylene is a polymer. Hydrogen is part of the molecular structure. You can't have polyethylene without the CH2 units.

There is also another allotrope that was discovered recently. It is similar to diamond but has a boat shape alignment.

Offline dazza95

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
Yes diamond is a molecule.
You can consider 02 to be a molecule as it is conbined by 2 oxygen atoms therefore a diamond which is a cobination of multiply carbon atoms is by extension termed to be a molecule.

Thanks,
DDZ and ZC

Sponsored Links