April 25, 2024, 12:58:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: If milk has by-products, does lactose as well?  (Read 4452 times)

Offline SimoneMeyer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
If milk has by-products, does lactose as well?
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:10:30 PM »
The book was saying how milk has various by-products and why it was important to identify its by-products because of people who suffer from lactose intolerance etc. But I was curious, does lactose have it's own by-products?

Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: If milk has by-products, does lactose as well?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 02:48:33 AM »
What is milk by-product? Cow manure?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SimoneMeyer

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »
Sorry, I meant dairy. It just becomes a bit confusing when I translate the questions or stuff that the book says into English (so if there's ever anything in my questions that make no sense, please point them out to me.)

Thanks.

So since dairy has by-products, would lactose have by-products or not? (I'm really sorry if this is a silly question)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »
So since dairy has by-products, would lactose have by-products or not? (I'm really sorry if this is a silly question)

This is not necesarilly a silly question, but it still doesn't make sense as worded.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SimoneMeyer

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
The full question asked why it was important to identify every single ingredient in baby formula if your child is lactose intolerant.
I know that it's because the child could have an allergic reaction, but because it's a chemistry course I thought that they may want to have my answer deal with stuff like by-products and compounds etc. So I tried to explain how dairy products have by products that can contain lactose and will not necessarily say "lactose" but may still contain "lactose by-products". I think that my error is that I'm using the word by-product incorrectly... But do you understand slightly what I mean ("the gist of it" so to speak?)

Thank you so much for your patience.

Sponsored Links