April 26, 2024, 11:44:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: QS by weight?  (Read 6767 times)

Offline kelly

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
QS by weight?
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:54:20 PM »
I am trying to scale the production of solutions I make in a lab.  We would like to produce 5-20L volumes of various buffer in an accurate and expeditious fashion.  Is there a calculation I can use to determine the final weight of water I need to add to powdered reagents to reach a final volume?

Using Sodium Chloride as an example.  If I was to make 1L of a 1M solution I would weigh out 58.44g of NaCl and then bring the final volume of my water up to 1L.  Knowing water weighs 1g/mL how could I QS by weight and account for the NaCl...i don't suppose it is simply additive?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: QS by weight?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »
Masses are simply additive, volumes are not.

In general such calculations require knowledge of the density of the final solution. For NaCl it is not a problem, as these are tabelarized. My CASC (concentration calculator, see signature) does such calculations, but only for solutions for which it either has built in density table or for which you can supply density table on your own.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links