April 25, 2024, 08:08:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lewis structure questions  (Read 7169 times)

Offline matt1234

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lewis structure questions
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »
Hey guys,
My book doesnt provide answers and im new to chem, looking for someone to confirm my answer is possible. I look on google for most but can find these.
Thank you.

Offline matt1234

Re: Lewis structure questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:41:22 PM »
and another:

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »
e and g look fine as far as I can see. I actually think your approach for b (ozone) is rather interesting, but the accepted way of drawing it's lewis structure can be seen here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ozone-resonance-Lewis-2D.png

Offline matt1234

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:57:15 PM »
yes i dont understand this, there is more then one way to fill their shells.  Most people told me this would be like math, but i dont see it, alot of times its a guessing game for me. I like math and physics cause is usually clear to me, this is not.  Are there any rules or laws with reguards to situations such as these?

Offline matt1234

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
After reviewing that site in closer detail it appears an electron shifted from the center oxygen to the one on the left.  How can we assume things such as these?

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 12:01:03 AM »
You had to guess in that case (and in my opinion at least, your guess for ozone was a very good one). The "correct" Lewis structures are obtained from experimentally measured physical properties. These properties help narrow things down between the different possible Lewis Structures that you can draw for a compound. In the case of ozone, it is known from experiment that the bond order is 1.5 (i.e. the bonds are halfway between what a single bond or a double bond would be). So a Lewis structure that contains all single bonds would have to be incorrect, because that would predict a bond order of 1 which isn't found experimentally. So they decided on the "resonating" depiction of ozone since it predicts a bond order of 1.5 that agrees with experiment.

Lewis structures are just a rough intro to the subject of chemical bonding; they are not the final word. You will find as you proceed further into chemistry that there are better more quantitative methods to accurately predict the bonding patterns in a molecule. These methods are introduced later simply because they are much harder to grasp.

Offline matt1234

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
thanks for the help I needed that.  Is there a link on this site i can visit to see how to take an ionic compounds name and get the formula and back from the formula to the name. our teacher gave us notes but im confused.  I will be using the Iupac names not the classical names.  im not looking for examples rather a quality set of rules.  Thank you guys your a blessing.

Offline matt1234

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »

Offline matt1234

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »
Would someone be kind enough too look over my study guide for my test tommorrow and tell me if i have anything mixed up?

http://rapidshare.com/files/287547622/Chem_ch_2_test_prep.docx.html

thanks alot!

Sponsored Links