April 18, 2024, 08:35:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question on electrolysis  (Read 17411 times)

Offline TheVanquished

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • To think is to practice brain chemistry.
Question on electrolysis
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »
Here is the question:

Predict the products formed at the anode and at the cathode when NaBr(aq) is electrolysed using inert electrodes

Somehow i got 2 different answers by different answer sheets

one of them stated that Br2 gas (anode) and H2 gas (cathode) would be liberated

However, the other one said H2(cathode) , H2O and O2 (anode) are formed

Eo values if needed:
Br2 + 2e  ::equil:: 2Br-   Eo= +1.07
Na+ + e  ::equil:: Na   Eo= -2.71
O2 +4H+ + 4e  ::equil:: 2H2O   Eo= +1.23
O2 + 2H2O + 4e  ::equil:: 4OH-   Eo= +0.40

2H2O + 2e  ::equil:: H2 + 2OH-  Eo= -0.83

The ones in red are the equations in question. Which one should i use to compare Eo values with Br? And why?

The answer which states that bromine gas is liberated is most probably the right one (as it is provided by my school) but it used the O2 +4H+ + 4e  ::equil:: 2H2O equation to compare instead of O2 + 2H2O + 4e  ::equil:: 4OH- why is this so?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:23:29 PM by TheVanquished »
“I'm presently incarcerated. Convicted of a crime I didn't even commit. Hah! "Attempted murder"? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?”

Offline TheVanquished

Re: Question on electrolysis
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:21:05 AM »
*Ignore me, I am impatient*. Sorry had to *Ignore me, I am impatient* this thread as this question is quite urgent
“I'm presently incarcerated. Convicted of a crime I didn't even commit. Hah! "Attempted murder"? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?”

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:37:36 AM »

Have you checked if they don't give the same potential for pH=7?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline TheVanquished

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:38:39 AM »
these are the standard data we use for electrolysis questions, regardless of ph i think

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:47:10 AM »
Formal potential in both cases must be pH dependent - standard is given for activities 1, at pH 7 activities of H+ and OH- are 10-7.

IMHO this is basically the same reaction.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline TheVanquished

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 05:06:23 AM »
sorry but i dont get what you mean

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »
Write Nernst equation for both reactions, calculate formal potential for neutral solution.

Offline TheVanquished

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 07:56:29 AM »
Write Nernst equation for both reactions, calculate formal potential for neutral solution.

whats a nernst equation? dont think i learnt it before

the stuff given in the question above are basically the only things you need to solve it. To find which product is oxidised (anode) what i learnt is to compare which is the most negative Eo value and for reduction (cathode) , the most positive

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »

Can someone explain what those two equations represent?
What I'm asking is how would you set up a cell or reaction that would actually cause the following changes or equilibria to be established?

One mole of oxygen gas dissolves in an acidic solution to form two moles of water

One mole of oxygen gas dissolves in two moles of water to form 4 moles of hydroxide ions

Those two reactions seem absurd and unachievable to me as I have only come across
 the disassociation of water

2H2::equil:: H3O+  +  OH-

or

in an electrolytic cell

Hydrogen ions are discharged to hydrogen gas
2H+ + 2e-   :rarrow: H2
and
4 moles of hydroxide are discharged to oxygen gas and water
4OH-  :rarrow: O2 + 2H2O + 4e-

Thanks

Clive

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:25:21 AM »

Strangely these both look identical to me, yet one is absurd and the other is not ;)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:30:35 AM »
whats a nernst equation? dont think i learnt it before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nernst_equation

Basically potential of the reaction depends on the concentration of ions involved. Standard potentials - as given in tables - are for solution in which concentrations of all ions equal 1 (in reality is not about concentrations, it is about their activities, but as you don't know what Nernst equation is, activities are most likely way above your head; as first approximation concentration and activity are identical).

the stuff given in the question above are basically the only things you need to solve it. To find which product is oxidised (anode) what i learnt is to compare which is the most negative Eo value and for reduction (cathode) , the most positive

Trick is, when you put NaBr into solution, even if concentrations of Na+ and Br- are 1 (which means their reduction/oxidation will occur at potential listed in tables), concentrations of H+ and OH- are not 1M, thus potential at which H2 and O2 evolve will differ from given in tables. Hence you can't simply compare numbers given in table of standard potentials, as it will give incorrect results.

Offline TheVanquished

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
well probably i may be inaccurate at a higher level but this will do for my level. honestly, this is the only information i have for the question. So say if you only have these equations to compare with what do you think would be the appropriate answer?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:10:06 AM by TheVanquished »

Offline TheVanquished

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »

Can someone explain what those two equations represent?
What I'm asking is how would you set up a cell or reaction that would actually cause the following changes or equilibria to be established?

One mole of oxygen gas dissolves in an acidic solution to form two moles of water

One mole of oxygen gas dissolves in two moles of water to form 4 moles of hydroxide ions

Those two reactions seem absurd and unachievable to me as I have only come across
 the disassociation of water

2H2::equil:: H3O+  +  OH-

or

in an electrolytic cell

Hydrogen ions are discharged to hydrogen gas
2H+ + 2e-   :rarrow: H2
and
4 moles of hydroxide are discharged to oxygen gas and water

Thanks

Clive

well those 2 equations are merely data which shows the voltage obtained when the particular half cell is compared with a standard hydrogen electrode. Basically the data shows how good a reducing/oxidizing agent the substance in question is so it is used to compare which products are produced at the anode/cathode.

Offline cliverlong

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »

Strangely these both look identical to me, yet one is absurd and the other is not ;)
Of course!  ::)

How about the other one?  :P

Offline cliverlong

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
well those 2 equations are merely data which shows the voltage obtained when the particular half cell is compared with a standard hydrogen electrode. Basically the data shows how good a reducing/oxidizing agent the substance in question is so it is used to compare which products are produced at the anode/cathode.
I understand that the voltage obtained when the particular half cell is compared with a standard hydrogen electrode without

My question still is I can't see how the half-cell

O2 +4H+ + 4e-   ::equil:: 2H2O   Eo= +1.23V

relates to any cell that could be measured against the hydrogen electrode.

Clive

Sponsored Links