March 28, 2024, 06:08:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to calculate calcium content in milk (by complexometric titration with edta)  (Read 9061 times)

Offline aeothoin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi guys,

I used a 10 ml milk sample diluted with 4 ml naoh, 40 ml distilled water with indicator.
I'm particularly stuck with this calculation.

I have already calculated the concentration of the standardised EDTA.

And then I've found out the moles of EDTA needed to form a complex with Ca2+. and as there is a 1:1 ratio between Ca2+ and edta, it's also the same number of moles for Ca2+.

So here's the bit where I am stuck.

My tutor said to take into consideration the dilution factor. which is 10 ml milk sample/ total volume of solution
 and we need to find the mass of calcium per 100 ml.

I've got the answer needed but there's a big gap in my calculation method.

so i did was divide the number of moles of Ca2+ by the dilution factor and then multiply 40g (RFM for Ca2+).

but how can i prove that the amount i got is per 100 ml? It just doesn't make sense.

Help please!!!
Thanks very much.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I can't see where dilution factor comes into play. If you know volume and concentration of EDTA you can calculate number of moles of calcium in the sample - and knowing your sample was 10 mL you can easily calculate mass of calcium per 100 mL. Volume of the sample after NaOH and water were added is irrelevant.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links