March 28, 2024, 09:07:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: intermolecular forces  (Read 18386 times)

chopchop

intermolecular forces
« on: March 17, 2004, 02:37:39 AM »
Hi there
I got a few question that i not sure about and I hope someone  who is interest  in intermolecular forces is able to help me out please.

Question
Consider the molecules F2 and HCl
why should the strength of the intermolecular due to temporary dipoles be similar for these two molecules?

Intermolecular attraction due to permanent dipoles is more significant for (HCl/HBr)
Justify your choice

"                                               " temporary dipoles "                                    
"(HCl/HBr)
"                           "

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:intermolecular forces
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »
F2 has a total of 18e. HCl has a total of 18e too. Thus their molecular electron cloud should be of similar size, and thus exihibit similar strength of intermolecular temporary-dipole-temporary-dipole interaction.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

chopchop

more question on intermolecular forces
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 11:17:19 PM »
1) Intermolecular attraction due to permanent dipoles is more                                                    significant for (HCl/HBr)
Justify your choice

2)Intermolecular attraction due to temporary dipoles is more significant for (HCl/HBr)

Consider the boiling points of HCl and HBr in the above table on and your answer to 2(a) and 2(b).Circle the word  in the brackets that make the statement correct.

3)The attractive force that is more important in determining the relative boiling points of HCl and HBr is due to (temporary,permanent) dipoles. justify your choice.

thanx for your time

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:more question on intermolecular forces
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 11:56:51 PM »
1) Whichever one has the largest difference in their electonegativities will contribute most to a permanent dipole.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:more question on intermolecular forces
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 03:18:47 AM »
1. HCl since Cl more electronegative than Br.

2. HBr more significant as it has more electrons.

3. permanent dipole, cuz the forces of attraction are much stronger.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links