Chemical Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Sponsored links

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charcoal reactivating  (Read 5879 times)

walkingpuma

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Charcoal reactivating
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:12:24 AM »

Does the charcoal from a car charcoal canister have the ability to filter contaminants from water? Is it possible to heat “full” charcoal to a certain temperature and have the held contaminants released? Would this basically “reactivate” the charcoal? I have heard that heating charcoal to 300 degrees under normal conditions reactivates it

walkingpuma

• Very New Member
Re: Charcoal reactivating
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:12:03 AM »

Any help?
what are the contaminants that are technically in the charcoal found from a charcoal canister?
A chemistry professor does not know much what I am trying to accomplish, but she believes placing the charcoal in a centrifuge will remove some of the outermost contaminants. Would that work?

billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +159/-44
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:23:42 PM »

This is just one response when I did a search in WIKI on
Charcoal reactivating
I assume other entries in WIKI that I did not select may have information as well
I even bet a Google search would have answers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mask
Over time the activated carbon becomes thoroughly coated and it ceases to remove pollutants. However, the charcoal can be reactivated and restored to its original state by baking the charcoal with high heat, which either evaporates or burns off the pollutants.

Doug Huffman

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »

Hello.  New guy here. 

I just did a 'net review of reactivating carbon air filters.  How its done depends very much on what it has adsorbed.  It depends also on what parameters the container will withstand - specifically, in my case, temperature.

When I have to do it, when the price of replacement  is too high, then I will try things like; the strongest oxidant that I can find (H2O2 35%) and baking it in the oven at the highest temperature that the plastic 'container' will remain dimensionally stable.

I registered here precisely to inquire after ideas on reactivation of a household activated carbon air filter that is the post-filter on my electrostatic filter.  I am very pleased with it.

Doug Huffman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:01:44 PM »

Does the charcoal from a car charcoal canister have the ability to filter contaminants from water? Is it possible to heat “full” charcoal to a certain temperature and have the held contaminants released? Would this basically “reactivate” the charcoal? I have heard that heating charcoal to 300 degrees under normal conditions reactivates it
Sorry, back to the OP.  Yes, the 'charcoal' from the volatile emissions collection system regenerated will remove some 'contaminants' from water.  Heating would certainly drive off the organic compounds present that are volatile at that temperature.  I don't know that I'd want to filter drinking water through it though.  New activated carbon is inexpensive enough that it'd be a better starting point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Mitch Andre Garcia's Chemical Forums 2003-Present.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.