March 28, 2024, 08:24:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrolysis of salt water to produce NaOH  (Read 12034 times)

Offline horsebox

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Electrolysis of salt water to produce NaOH
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »
If my knowledge is correct when you run current through a NaCl solution chlorine gets freed up leaving a surplus of sodium cations. The sodium will obviously react with the water and form NaOH. I read on a chemistry forum a thread talking about procuring NaOH like this using graphite from pencils as the electrodes. NaOH is cheap and easy to get a hold of but this is still a fairly cool experiment. Wouldn't mind trying it myself. Has anyone here tried this?

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Electrolysis of salt water to produce NaOH
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 01:06:47 PM »
not tried, but this is the basis of the chlor-alkali industry.

chlor = Cl2
alkali = NaOH
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »
The sodium will obviously react with the water and form NaOH.

That's not exactly true, although the idea (that sodium would react with water) is correct. But in reality it is water that reacts on the electrode producing hydrogen, sodium is not being reduced in water solutions.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:45:33 AM »
Borek -

is not the results
hydrogen
Chlorine
Sodium hydroxide

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:30:57 AM »
Yes, I was refering only to the cathode reaction.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Doctor science

• Mole Snacks: +3/-5
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »
If my knowledge is correct when you run current through a Na Cl solution chlorine gets freed up leaving a surplus of sodium cations. The sodium will obviously react with the water and form Noah. I read on a chemistry forum a thread talking about procuring Noah like this using graphite from pencils as the electrodes. Noah is cheap and easy to get a hold of but this is still a fairly cool experiment. Wouldn't mind trying it myself. Has anyone here tried this?
yes i have the aquas solution of table salt will turn green due to the concentration of chlorine if you are using copper to do the experiment. ( heads up... do this experiment in a well ventilated area because I inhaled the chlorine gas and it annoyed me biologically....(burning nose membrane)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:44:27 AM »
yes i have the aquas solution of table salt will turn green due to the concentration of chlorine if you are using copper to do the experiment.

Pure nonsense. Concentration of chlorine doesn't depend on the copper presence, and color of the solution has nothing to do with the chlorine.

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:12:51 AM »
I tried it once with graphite electrodes (personally I didn't use sharp pencils, but graphite sticks for mechanical pencils with a ∅ of 1 or 2mm) and I din't notice any changement in the solution's colour. Anyway NaOH isn't the only product as Cl2 reacts with OH- giving ClO-:

Cl2+OH-→Cl-+ClO-+H2O

That's why if you sniff next to the solution's surface during the process you'll perceive the characteristic smell of bleach (due to ClO-;D
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Sponsored Links