March 28, 2024, 10:37:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: DIY Fume hood  (Read 22776 times)

Offline horsebox

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
DIY Fume hood
« on: December 27, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »
I'm in college at the moment so I can't afford to move outta my ma's house. The only place I can practice any chemistry is in my bedroom but theres a nice spot in the corner of the room where I could build a fume hood. I'm gonna build it out of gypsum drywall so it'll be fireproof. I worked construction for a year so I know how to build the actual box out of drywall but I have no idea how I'll go about setting up the filtration and ventilation system. This spot is right by a window so I'm gonna just hang the tube out the window but I'm wondering how complicated it is installing a ventilation system into a fumehood. I can probably get away with a bottle of water and a bucket for the water source/sink and if I really need a vacuum I'll just put an aspirator into the fume hood.

Has anyone here built a fume hood?

Offline Grundalizer

• Mole Snacks: +19/-31
Re: DIY Fume hood
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I'd check out www.sciencemadness.org which is another forum that is focused on mainly more advanced DIY at home stuff.  I know i've seen a couple posts about homeade fume hoods there.  It's important I think to find a way of drawing/sucking out air with a machine that doesn't have an open copper coil like I see most fans have.  Imagine sucking out organic solvent vapor and having a spark go off and flames shooting out of your window in the suburbs, it might cause a problem.  Check that site out they have really good stuff and hardcore amateur chemists

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »
This has been discussed several times
here is one entry

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=38158.0

Offline csrscience.com

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
    • CSR Science
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:55:54 PM »
For a water source, I.e for distilling, etc. I highly recommend you get a small water pump for fountains, and a bucket of water. You can get this water pumps from places like harbor freight for pretty cheap. You can also get a vacuum pump for fairly cheap from them.

Best of luck! I hope to see you document your progress! That would really help out a lot of people.
http://www.csrscience.com/
Mushroom Grow Supplies, Laboratory Equipment, Seeds.

Filter Pump Aspirator - Cheap - Humboldt

Click Here to get 10% Discount

Sponsored Links